Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signs Of Final Fantasy XIII-2 Potentially Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Signs Of Final Fantasy XIII-2 Potentially Being Ported To Linux

Steam changes in recent days indicate that Final Fantasy XIII-2 may very well be on its way to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ugh, Final Fantasy has gone down the dustbin after FF X and FFX-2. Now it's all about "Oohhh AWESOME GRAPHICS!" and "KILL KILL KiLL". There's none of the romantic relationships, fantasy-like worlds and storylines that made the series what it was during those days.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 15 December 2014, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Ugh, Final Fantasy has gone down the dustbin after FF X and FFX-2. Now it's all about "Oohhh AWESOME GRAPHICS!" and "KILL KILL KiLL". There's none of the romantic relationships, fantasy-like worlds and storylines that made the series what it was during those days.
      Yeah. If I want Final Fantasy on Linux, I'll just install PCSX and PCSX2 and borrow the PS1/PS2 discs for FF 1, 2, and 4 through X from the living room. Better to emulate the good ones than play the bad ones natively.

Comment

I'm ashamed that a company that used to experiment to great success has become what it is now.

Comment

Isn't it odd...?

They're porting a sequel and not the original story that drives the sequel...

Personally I'm not very fond of J-RPGs, but I have to say in deffense of the series, that FFVII and FFX and X-2 were amazing games... I know that purists will jump right in and say that the original and the fourth (from what I gather on-line and from a few die-hard-fans-from-the-abyss friends that I have). I read somewhere that Sony may be getting the ports they did for FFVII and FFX(2) for PS3 to the PS4... I own both systems and both games on the PS3... I really liked what they did graphics wise with FFX... the game, though became much tougher or the years have not been nice to me when re-playing these, LoL

Back to the point, though, I'm not familiar with the setting of FFXIII, last title in the series I played for at least a couple of hours was FFXII, and never got to see the "real" meat of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Signs Of Final Fantasy XIII-2 Potentially Being Ported To Linux

Steam changes in recent days indicate that Final Fantasy XIII-2 may very well be on its way to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg2NDI
            and yet this means nothing because it's not at launch and people are already over it

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
              They're porting a sequel and not the original story that drives the sequel...

Personally I'm not very fond of J-RPGs, but I have to say in deffense of the series, that FFVII and FFX and X-2 were amazing games... I know that purists will jump right in and say that the original and the fourth (from what I gather on-line and from a few die-hard-fans-from-the-abyss friends that I have). I read somewhere that Sony may be getting the ports they did for FFVII and FFX(2) for PS3 to the PS4... I own both systems and both games on the PS3... I really liked what they did graphics wise with FFX... the game, though became much tougher or the years have not been nice to me when re-playing these, LoL

Back to the point, though, I'm not familiar with the setting of FFXIII, last title in the series I played for at least a couple of hours was FFXII, and never got to see the "real" meat of the story.
              The pre-VII die-hards will often say that VI (III in the U.S.) was the greatest. The pre-VI die-hards will often say that V was the greatest. IV was crippled when it shipped in the U.S. but fan translations have allowed the original experience.

Comment

Wow, this is one of those famous "Phoronix grasping at straws" moments again. You guys should really read the steamdb entry for this. To me personally, it just looks like the devs bundled an OpenVR runtime redistributable installer that runs automatically on install (like the DirectX and VC++ ones), and it just happened to be a fat package with files for all three operating systems included, for simplicity blablah. I really wouldn't get my hopes up about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  Wow, this is one of those famous "Phoronix grasping at straws" moments again. You guys should really read the steamdb entry for this. To me personally, it just looks like the devs bundled an OpenVR runtime redistributable installer that runs automatically on install (like the DirectX and VC++ ones), and it just happened to be a fat package with files for all three operating systems included, for simplicity blablah. I really wouldn't get my hopes up about this.
                  And if you read through the comments in this topic, you'll realize that almost all of us are discussing Final Fantasy the series and its decline from being the JRPG posterboy to a generic game that is all graphics and action, and nothing about its speculated port to Linux.

Off-topic note: all my games on my Playstation (and i mean ALL) are JRPGs (with the original JP audio) with a few JP rhythm games and dating sims thrown in here and there.

Comment

FF died for me when FFXIV was not made in FFXI's image.

Comment

Working...
                    X