Ubuntu 12.04 LTS To Ubuntu 14.10 Offers Some Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS To Ubuntu 14.10 Offers Some Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS To Ubuntu 14.10 Offers Some Performance Improvements

Curious how the CPU performance of Ubuntu Linux has evolved from the 12.04 LTS release compared to 14.04 LTS and then the latest 14.10 release? Here's some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I suspect most of these gains can be realized by just running 12.04 with the newer "hardware enablement" kernels rather than a full on dist upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
      I suspect most of these gains can be realized by just running 12.04 with the newer "hardware enablement" kernels rather than a full on dist upgrade
      Older LTS releases don't receive a newer compiler though, which benefited most of the CPU bound tests.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
        Actually, 12.04.5 and 14.04 are running the same 3.13 kernel in this test:
        OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

I'd be curious to see what performance was like with the original 3.2 kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Older LTS releases don't receive a newer compiler though, which benefited most of the CPU bound tests.
          But by installing Ubuntu's toolchain repo, later compiler versions can be made available on 12.04. I'm running GCC 4.9.2 on Ubuntu 12.04.5 with kernel 3.13 right now.

The instructions at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...u-12-04-13-04/ are a bit out of date now, but still pretty accurate and informative.

Comment

Working...
          X