Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.15.2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.15.2 Released

The second GNOME 3.15 development release is now available ahead of GNOME 3.16 next March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wouldnt mind seeing what these UI/UX is what they have done with gnome-music is

Comment

I would be more interested in Gnome 4. I wonder if they go back to being desktop oriented, instead of the following "the windows 8 way" which they actually invented first.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        I would be more interested in Gnome 4. I wonder if they go back to being desktop oriented, instead of the following "the windows 8 way" which they actually invented first.
        It's pretty hard to top MS in first-time installation usability at this point. The "let's use cloud credentials as user credentials and store configs in cloud so they're migrated to new installations" was a pretty killer idea. They say MS is moving away from "the Windows 8 way" as well and working towards a Metro hybrid system.

Comment

my guess, Gnome4 will be pretty much like Gnome-Classic is now.. which i find better than the unusable plain Gnome. but IMHO i reckon KDE5 will be the Gnome killer

Comment

MS should have learned from GNOME

It actually surprised me that MS didn't look at the gnome-shell/unity controversies and shy away from going down the exact same path. That was probably a multi-billion dollar mistake on their part, but they did not or would not learn from those who'd been there first. Now all desktop and laptop manufacturers are paying for their mistake. Oh well, I guess they thought GNOME and Ubuntu were beneath them, so they didn't look at what people thought of trying to shoehorn all form factors into one DE.

Comment

There's nothing like reading how classic-desktop stuck-ups discuss Gnome's "suitability for touch devices only", Gnome's soon demise and my favorite, "Gnome's motives" they know squat about. All of this while thousands out there just sit and actually use Gnome instead of whining on the forums.

And BTW, Gnome's way may die when the need for the hideous, and equally ridiculous to anyone not into "visual tuning of cars", aesthetics symbolized by KDE come back. Somehow. For some reason.

Comment

Point of open source is to be able to control your own computer

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                There's nothing like reading how classic-desktop stuck-ups discuss Gnome's "suitability for touch devices only", Gnome's soon demise and my favorite, "Gnome's motives" they know squat about. All of this while thousands out there just sit and actually use Gnome instead of whining on the forums.

And BTW, Gnome's way may die when the need for the hideous, and equally ridiculous to anyone not into "visual tuning of cars", aesthetics symbolized by KDE come back. Somehow. For some reason.
                The whole point to FOSS software is to allow people to control their own computers. That means nobody gets to tell me I have to get rid of something I like, such as a window list on the bottom and icons on the desktop-all things GNOME tried to remove and was forced to support by demands from users. Icons on the desktop was easy: they kept a default to not having them but also kept suppport in Nautilus. The window list and a practical menu appear to have been upstream adoption of concepts from the gnome-shell frippery team.

Don't say I cannot compare DE's-I've got MATE, cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, and IceWM installed and can switch to any of them in seconds. I normally use MATE these days, set up to look like my Cinnamon desktop does but with a faster codebase underneath it.

Comment

Win8's could creds for login is an extreme privacy/security hazard

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  It's pretty hard to top MS in first-time installation usability at this point. The "let's use cloud credentials as user credentials and store configs in cloud so they're migrated to new installations" was a pretty killer idea. They say MS is moving away from "the Windows 8 way" as well and working towards a Metro hybrid system.
                  There was at least one Windows 8 beta that did not include the option of a local, non-cloud login. On the final release they use cloud creds for default and word is you have to work at getting a purely local install, the only kind you can trust against everything from search warrants (if encrypted) to data sale to advertisers.

Personally, I find the idea of linking any device containing my private files to a cloud account creepy and dangerous. The right way to store configs "in the cloud" would be as an encrypted tarball for which only the user has any keys, on a user-chosen site, with a GUI program to make or fetch/open the tarball. I've migrated configs by copying the .hidden files in /home for years, but move them computer to computer directly. What MS is doing would be equivalent to if I has used Ubuntu One to store them while it was online, also put my gnome-keyring there for anyone to try to crack, and then Ubuntu had been as untrustworthy as Microsoft.

Yes, I recognize that the criticism I have just made covers Android as well, part of the reason I do not have a smartphone.

Comment

Working...
                  X