Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Is Returning To Ubuntu With 15.04 Release

Phoronix: FFmpeg Is Returning To Ubuntu With 15.04 Release

While FFmpeg has been absent from recent releases of Ubuntu Linux due to the switch over to Libav, with Ubuntu 15.04 it will return...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Comment

Since there's very little in the way of links (other than historical) in this article, can someone tell me if they are replacing libav or installing ffmpeg alongside libav?

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
        Since there's very little in the way of links (other than historical) in this article, can someone tell me if they are replacing libav or installing ffmpeg alongside libav?
        Alongside i guess, ffpmeg landed in Debian Sid two months ago (but Michael might not be informed about that ) with similar plan probably.

Comment

Ah, ok. I knew that was the proposal for Debian, but missed the fact that it actually happened. Make sense that Ubuntu would follow.

Comment

This is needed because Kdenlive at least does not work right with Libav

I have had to locally compile ffmpeg and handload the resulting binaries into debian packages since early summer, as current versions of Kdenlive do not get along with Libav when using AVCHD video files. It will be nice not to have to deal with this anymore, it takes longer to build the filesystems for all those debian packages by hand (the only way I know) than it does to compile ffmpeg in the first place.

I wonder what else doesn't like libav? It has diverged enough from ffmpeg that MPV has to be built for whichever one you are using in order to function. Mplayer2 right now is broken in my install, suspect it does not like ffmpeg on ground of having been built against libav.

Comment

Good. Now both should switch to libburnia, then Ubuntu should switch to Wayland, and we'll be about on the right side of all the notably controversial choices.

Comment

Unfortunately these packags can't replace libav

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                I have had to locally compile ffmpeg and handload the resulting binaries into debian packages since early summer, as current versions of Kdenlive do not get along with Libav when using AVCHD video files. It will be nice not to have to deal with this anymore, it takes longer to build the filesystems for all those debian packages by hand (the only way I know) than it does to compile ffmpeg in the first place.
                Replacing my hand compiled ffmpeg with the Ubuntu version did not work. These packages are designed to install alongside libav, not in place of it. I would have to recompile kdenlive and mlt to use them, or else make a new dummy packaging linking every one of the changed sonames *-ffmpeg to the orignal soname. Lastly the dummy package would have to "provide" each of the lib* packages being linked-and "provided" versions would have to be updated with new installs of ffmpeg! That's enough work I'm better off continuing to compile my own for now, unless the kdenlive PPA I use decides to switch to the Ubuntu versions which, or course, can go alongside my current packages as easily as alongside libav-tools.

Comment

Finally!
                  That's some good and wise decision.

Comment

Most people seem to favour FFmpeg. The only minor concern I have is that the name includes "mpeg", and that group loves to sue things.

Comment

Working...
                    X