Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Improvements Forthcoming For HiDPI Displays

Phoronix: Qt Improvements Forthcoming For HiDPI Displays

The upcoming Qt 5.4 release betters the support for HiDPI monitors -- displays like the Retina MacBook Pro and others with high pixel densities -- though Qt5 developers need to make some changes to their code to take advantage of these improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will kde opt in to the high DPI pixmap support?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I hope they dont offer the same "support" of HiDPI screens like GNOME!

Its miserable, and only works if your display has a very high resolution. For example, for FullHD on 1080p, what I consider "more than normal" DPI, my screen is NOT supported, and there will be NO support. The scaling is done via a dconf key, with an integer value (Integer o.0 for something like this?!)

Under Windows 8.1 it works wonderful out of the box, and can be deactivated for applications via the properties Explorer window (GNOME doesnt even allow this). And yes I talk about the "Desktop" mode.

Comment

As far as I know KDE was a driver for some of the HiDPI support, so I expect them to have at least initial support very soon. It make take some time to update art assets.

I'm pretty happy that this sounds pretty similar to the way Android handles DPI. They have density independent pixels which will have the same physical size no matter the DPI or screen size.

Comment

I am pretty sure Apple Retinas have have HiDPI support in Qt for a long time. The news is for Windows and Linux.

Note Qt 5.4 has two different ways of supporting HiDPI. First, widget styles now scale to DPI, making a DPI of 192 look much better. The second option is Retina style pixel doubling faking a DPI of 96. The first is automatic, the second is opt in.

For Qt 5.4 only integers are supported for pixel ratios. There are patches out there to support non-integer, but honestly it doesn't look that good in general and needs some work, but hopefully that will work in 5.5.

Comment

Working...
          X