Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 15.04 Will Use KDE's Plasma 5 By Default

Phoronix: Kubuntu 15.04 Will Use KDE's Plasma 5 By Default

Kubuntu's Jonathan Riddell has shared that "Kubuntu Vivid", a.k.a. Ubuntu 15.05 for the Vivid Vervet, will use Plasma 5 by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it's to early it's better to use stable things as default and new and fancy stuff as an alternative.

Comment

Fun...... it'll be KDE in 2008 all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I think it's to early it's better to use stable things as default and new and fancy stuff as an alternative.
        I welcome it. A major Linux distro with Plasma 5 will be nice for testing; but I'm sure most of the major issues (if any) will be handled by launch.

And if Plasma 5 really becomes an issue, you can also just fallback to Kubuntu 14.04 or 14.10. Or maybe even just install Plasma 4 in 15.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          I'm hardly a fan of Kubuntu but the stable release is the 14.04 LTS one.
          In the Ubuntu world all releases between LTSes are meant to be experimental.

Comment

Plasma 5 doesn't appear as ambitious as KDE4

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I think they learned their lesson on KDE 4 - at least I hope so . Plasma 5 already looks pretty good, and they have been getting feedback for months.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
              I think they learned their lesson on KDE 4 - at least I hope so . Plasma 5 already looks pretty good, and they have been getting feedback for months.
              If I've heard correctly, Plasma5 & friends are all evolutionary upgrades instead of revolutionary. That is to say, most of the work has gone into these releases has been cleaning/refactoring/etc instead of adding a bazillion new features. So I would assume that, no matter how "Beta" Plasma5/etc may seem right now, it will never hit the level of "omg what is this shitfest" that happened when KDE4 was released.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                I have been running KF5 and plasma-desktop for a couple of weeks/months now as a primary desktop (with fallback to lxqt or awesome) on my Arch system (first from AUR and now from the binary repositories).

I find it totally useable with minor or no problems. The missing stuff at the moment are the KDE applications that still need KDE4 stuff (there were some conflicts where upgrades got tricky). Given time I think it will all be very polished and good. Releasing each part when it is ready instead of trying to do a single SC makes a lot of sense even if there are some cases of annoyances now before everything is ready.

Comment

A lot of the KCMs and stock Plasmoids from KDE4 are still missing, at least when I tried plasma-next on Arch. An integrated audio solution (and audio hardware config UI), display configuration, and Bluedevil are all absent. Gonna be hard to release a Kubuntu without bluetooth support or the ability to resize your monitor from a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    A lot of the KCMs and stock Plasmoids from KDE4 are still missing, at least when I tried plasma-next on Arch. An integrated audio solution (and audio hardware config UI), display configuration, and Bluedevil are all absent. Gonna be hard to release a Kubuntu without bluetooth support or the ability to resize your monitor from a GUI.
                    Eh... Plasma 5.2 would have been released by then and they'd be prepping for if they hadn't released Plasma 5.3 and KDE Applications should be in a mostly ported but not fully ported to KF5 by that point AFAICT. 15.04 shouldn't really be that bad of a time to transfer over, but around the time of 15.10 is probably when you could make a clean break without any loss of functionality. :shrugs:

Comment

Working...
                    X