Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Offers Great Linux Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Offers Great Linux Performance

Since last month's Linux review of the GeForce GTX 980 as NVIDIA's newest high-end GPU powered by their Maxwell architecture, many Phoronix readers have been requesting Ubuntu Linux tests of the GTX 970 too. I've now got my hands on an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 and am putting it through its paces today.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that's pretty awesome, especially the compute workloads. This looks like a worthwhile upgrade from a 680 for use with blender.

Edit: Actually, maybe donating $100 or so to the blender foundation would be a better investment.
    Last edited by jagoly; 21 October 2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

mine beautiful EVGA SC running great...as a former gigabyte only buyer to EVGA now and as a gift EVGA is giving a free BlackPlate per card for those that buy it until november...2 blackplates arriving next week here....

Witcher 3 Steam dayONE 4k FTW!

Last edited by goCorinthians; 21 October 2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Wow, roughly $100 less than the 780Ti and it outperforms that in many cases. I don't remember if that holds true in Windows, but at least in linux it's a clear choice that the 900 series is good to go for. Kind of funny how ALL 970s are completely sold out on newegg.

Comment

Loving mines EVGA SC, even one of them can max out most of "next-gen" games at 4k.

Witcher 3 Steam dayONE FTW

PS: Strange that at linux keep heating faster than in windows at demading games as Witcher and Metro, but not that higher only a 2 or 3 celsius more!
          Last edited by goCorinthians; 21 October 2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by goCorinthians View Post
            Loving mines EVGA SC, even one of them can max out most of "next-gen" games at 4k.

Witcher 3 Steam dayONE FTW

PS: Strange that at linux keep heating faster than in windows at demading games as Witcher and Metro, but not that higher only a 2 or 3 celsius more!
            Seeing as the driver controls temperature, I'm sure the drivers are the reason for this. Also, it appears that these GPUs perform better in linux than they do in windows. They could possibly be working harder and therefore run hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Seeing as the driver controls temperature, I'm sure the drivers are the reason for this. Also, it appears that these GPUs perform better in linux than they do in windows. They could possibly be working harder and therefore run hotter.
              Yep. Dont know about perf though. openSUSE KDE 13.2 running through NVIDIA vanilla driver! Windows: 39 celsius - Linux: 41

Comment

What about SLI configuration? I haven't seen many Linux benchmarks. I understand that it's not as good as in Windows, but I'd just like to know.

Comment

780ti faster than 980 in some benchmarks?

I wonder why in a lot of the benchmarks, the 780ti is shown to be a little bit faster than the 980 by a few FPS. Strange ... wasn't Maxwell supposed to be faster?

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                    I wonder why in a lot of the benchmarks, the 780ti is shown to be a little bit faster than the 980 by a few FPS. Strange ... wasn't Maxwell supposed to be faster?
                    Yes, it was. But as you can see it's "regular" 980 compared to 780ti. We'll see what's gonna happen, when 9xx Titans will come to market ^^.

Comment

Working...
                    X