Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Sandy Bridge Gains On Linux 3.17 Extend Beyond Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge Gains On Linux 3.17 Extend Beyond Graphics

Yesterday I shared some benchmarks showing Intel Sandy Bridge HD Graphics performance increasing on Linux 3.17 for this several year old architecture. This came as a surprise but the good news is the performance improvements on this new Linux kernel don't stop with OpenGL but extend to CPU performance too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But what did they do in cpu side?

But what did they do in cpu side?

Comment

Michael,

could you also do a comparision on IDLE power consumption? Especially on mobile systems it would be very interesting to see if the new kernel does a better job in handling the power consumption of the cpu and gpu. My T440p for example still draws twice as much power than unter windows 8.1 when idle. Thanks!

Comment

I have a Question here, what's missing to Sandy Bridge driver to get opengl 3.3 complete? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
          I have a Question here, what's missing to Sandy Bridge driver to get opengl 3.3 complete? Thanks
          Geometry Shaders is the last thing for 3.3 on sandy bridge, I believe... There's a patch series on the mesa-dev list which adds those and bumps Sandy Bridge to GL 3.2. The discussion on the list also indicates that 3.3 is possibly as simple as flipping a switch to turn it on.

Comment

As a Sandry Bridge user you had my curiosity, but now, you have my attention.

Comment

Working...
            X