Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The OS That Switched From Linux To BSD Is Now Making Its Own GUI

Phoronix: The OS That Switched From Linux To BSD Is Now Making Its Own GUI

JabirOS, the distribution formerly powered by Ubuntu that changed to a FreeBSD base and then proclaimed itself an independent FreeBSD fork, is trying to invent its own user-interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not that surprising that they'd go with HTML5 and BSD, since BSD is well known for its server performance.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      CadmiumUI has another feature, which Ubuntu and others don?t have, Computer Games
      Maybe they have reverse-engineered the PlayStation 3 or 4 operating system (that if I remember well it's based on a BSD variant) and made a port.
      Or else I want the phone number of their pushers.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        It's not that surprising that they'd go with HTML5 and BSD, since BSD is well known for its server performance.
        What does serving web pages with Apache/nginx have in common with rendering them with Gecko?

Comment

CadmiumUI has another feature, which Ubuntu and others don?t have, Computer Games
          Do they care to explain what is it about games that sees an advantage in JabirOS over others? Is it better performance, more games, or what exactly? Last time I checked my Fedora installation was capable of running games.. lots of them!

The new UI is original, but not necessarily better than the competition. I like how their store is well integrated into the OS, but overall the UI is very touch oriented. It also wastes a lot of screen estate. And worst of all, it's HTML driven.

Comment

Well, obviously is not the same OS. It may have the same name but it's not the same OS.

Comment

Indeed, I love FreeBSD, but it's a different world; you can't expect to get your games from the nice Ubuntu software center

Comment

Ubuntu Games

Maybe one day this will be good. I am no fan of Ubuntu but have these guys not heard of Steam?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
                  What does serving web pages with Apache/nginx have in common with rendering them with Gecko?
                  It gets massively accelerated by noscript

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    BSD is the best choice for servers, but it's a "desktop environment", and not related to server.

Maybe they have reverse-engineered the PlayStation 3 or 4 operating system (that if I remember well it's based on a BSD variant) and made a port.
                    Or else I want the phone number of their pushers.
                    No, In fact, we claimed this advantage because Web-based games are more than native linux games, and that's only a joke .

The new UI is original, but not necessarily better than the competition. I like how their store is well integrated into the OS, but overall the UI is very touch oriented. It also wastes a lot of screen estate. And worst of all, it's HTML driven.
                    This is a good critism, but Cadmium is so young, we have touch screen ideas, but current cadmium is fully controlable by mouse and keyboard, and we're working on it, to use all of the screen estate as well.
                    Why do you dislike HTML?

Comment

Working...
                    X