Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sadly, Two X.Org GSoC Projects Already Failed

Phoronix: Sadly, Two X.Org GSoC Projects Already Failed

Two Google Summer of Code projects for the X.Org Foundation have already failed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess most of us miss new X.org features like outgoing farts.

Comment

Outgoing farts?

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
        Outgoing farts?
        Better outgoing than incoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
          Outgoing farts?
          Like this, but with farts.

Comment

One of the projects that failed was the the lightweight Qt Quick compositing window manager effort.
            Good. Worthless projects deserve to die.

Comment

Maybe i'm in the minority but I think what X needs is aggressive refactoring and code cleanup in the name of maintainability. Backwards compatibility and network transparency are its strongest assets I think. Or at least, any X replacement should make those features first class citizens. We use network forwarding every day in particular, and on relatively old hardware too. It's usable even on a crappy 100 megabit network...

Comment

Which was the other one that failed?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Which was the other one that failed?
                  Probably tesselation support in mesa, i think i heard that guy went missing without giving notice. Another volunteer has asked to start working on it, hopefully he makes better progress.

Comment

Originally posted by BradN View Post
                    Maybe i'm in the minority but I think what X needs is aggressive refactoring and code cleanup in the name of maintainability. Backwards compatibility and network transparency are its strongest assets I think. Or at least, any X replacement should make those features first class citizens. We use network forwarding every day in particular, and on relatively old hardware too. It's usable even on a crappy 100 megabit network...
                    Wayland. XWayland will handle backwards compatibility, Wayland can also do networking better than X.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X