Enlightenment's Edje Has A Nice, Easy-To-Use Theme Editor Under Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment's Edje Has A Nice, Easy-To-Use Theme Editor Under Development

Phoronix: Enlightenment's Edje Has A Nice, Easy-To-Use Theme Editor Under Development

A easy-to-use, graphically-driven theme editor for Enlightenment's EFL Edje is under development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While this is a necessary component, i'm really interested in the status of elev8. That will really close the remaining gap between qt and EFL.

Comment

Finally an example of a more complex EFL application. So far I have only ever seen EFL in simple applications like Terminology, the file manager and settings dialogs. I think its important to have at least one really good looking complex application to show developers that it is possible with EFL.

That said I think there is still much to improve.

To give some examples of what I consider good complex UIs:
      Unity
      Blender
      Modo

They all have in common that the layout is arranged in boxes that can be rearranged. Unity probably implements this in the best way. Multiple boxes can be put in the same place (as different tabs) and they can be rearranged by drag and drop. They also all seem to use a custom UI toolkit. If this was well implemented and easily accessible in EFL it could be a killer feature. I also haven't seen a Qt application that implements this properly. Here is how it looks in Krita:
      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mmOly9JA70...a-mainlogo.png
      Notice how e.g. below the tab "Tool options" you have the exact same word again and you can only drag the boxes from there.

Two noteworthy things I particularly like about Blender (and Modo) are how they collapse buttons and input fields that are adjacent to each others (see the input fields below "Resolution:") and how they don't use radio buttons but instead some kind of tab styled widget (below Anti-Aliasing). Both seem like really good ideas to save space and visually show what belongs together.

This is a topic I thought a lot about since I am still in the process of coming up with the perfect UI for my own little 2D game engine (where I decided to implement the GUI myself instead of using a toolkit).

Comment

Working...
      X