Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Since writing about the features of the Catalyst 14.6 Beta earlier today, the x86/x86_64 proprietary Linux driver has surfaced on a third-party web-site for those wishing to try out this latest AMD Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!08s1iQAJ!-ELVok...OObR45JzUdLkKM

Comment

Doesn't seem to support kernel 3.15rc7 out of the box (I'll try that one patch for 3.14+ support):

/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/make.log

DKMS make.log for fglrx-14.200 for kernel 3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency (x86_64)
      Tue May 27 12:19:00 EDT 2014
      AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
      doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
      rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
      make -C /lib/modules/3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency'
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetEffectiveUid':
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1787:5: error: incompatible types when returning type 'kuid_t' but 'KCL_TYPE_Uid' was expected
      return current_euid();
      ^
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1793:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
      }
      ^
      make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
      make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency'
      make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
      build failed with return value 2

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Doesn't seem to support kernel 3.15rc7 out of the box (I'll try that one patch for 3.14+ support)
        Works fine with the patch.

Tested on Xubuntu 14.04. Don't seem to see any new settings or anything. Not entirely certain, but Dota 2 seems to have slightly better framerate.

Should also mention that if you're using Hybrid graphics on Ubuntu 14.04, you may want to stop gpu-manager from interfering with xorg.conf
        Last edited by Guest; 27 May 2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

How does Witcher2 perform with 14.6?

Comment

Now avaible from AMD:

Comment

Open Issues:

DOTA 2 may hang while playing on the AMD Radeon 7900 or AMD Radeon R9 280X
              It also hanged on my 7850.

The whole story is: I installed the driver with the package method on Ubuntu 14.04. Rebooted. Wow. I was really impressed. I had tear-free desktop with Catalyst. Finally! Everything was smooth and worked and my fans are sooo quiet. Then I tried Dota 2. Had about 20fps until the system hanged completely (about 1 min). Rebooted. And once again I'm welcomed with desktop tearing and enabling the Tear-free desktop results in my windows following the mouse cursor mileees away. So, either this will be solved until the final release, or I seriously can't use this card anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                How does Witcher2 perform with 14.6?
                With 7770, no 5 seconds long lag spikes anymore, but performance is still maybe 20% of what I had under Windows last time I had one on this machine.

Comment

I have a under/overscan option for my laptop's built-in screen now (didn't check if it existed with 14.4).

Comment

Still having severe graphics corruption/black screens when playing videos over a certain player size.
                    But KDE animations feel a bit smoother with the new driver on my R9 290.

Comment

Working...
                    X