Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86 4.4 RC2 Released

Phoronix: Android-x86 4.4 RC2 Released

The 4.4 "KitKat" release of Android for x86 platforms is nearly ready for the public!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It boots never on one of my machines.

Comment

Tested with virtualbox... runs crappy on my hardware.
      Much more usable when booted natively.
      I still haven't found a good way to use WhatsApp on my linux

Comment

I don't see the point to use a mobile oriented OS under a desktop machine.

Comment

Random lockups with my apu a8 5600k, I can-t block the automatic rotation, is a shame Dx

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
            How about because of the following two mutually exclusive reasons;
            1) Its no longer specifically mobile-oriented. What it is, is TOUCH oriented, and TOUCH is not a feature exclusive to mobile hardware.
            ... not that Android doesn't work excellently with a mouse and keyboard.
            2) There is lots of mobile x86 hardware, such as almost 100% of every laptop ever made.

Android is also an excellent platform for HTPC's (which are anything BUT mobile), including custom x86 HTPC's. Throw a wii-mote and an RF keyboard on a TV-box and you get a pretty good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Random lockups with my apu a8 5600k, I can-t block the automatic rotation, is a shame Dx
              The single person who does android x86 is apparently too cheap to buy a used AMD box.

Comment

"has the backing of Intel"

No it doesn't.
                Intel's android stuff is *ENTIRELY* separate, and in fact, totally INCOMPATIBLE with generic x86 hardware.

Comment

I see the point to running Android apps alongside regular Linux apps.
                  (even if the apps are in a VM)

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    "has the backing of Intel"

No it doesn't.
                    Intel's android stuff is *ENTIRELY* separate, and in fact, totally INCOMPATIBLE with generic x86 hardware.

Correct that android-x86 does not have the backing of Intel. Incorrect that Intel's android is incompatible with generic x86 hardware. Please refer to https://01.org/android-ia/. Our latest release has Kitkat support on standard Haswell and Baytrail hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X