Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon: Mesa 10.1 vs. Mesa Git On Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: Radeon: Mesa 10.1 vs. Mesa Git On Ubuntu 14.04

With Mesa 10.2 just having been branched for its release in the weeks ahead, at Phoronix we have carried out some tests of four different graphics cards when using Mesa 10.1.0 as shipped by Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then using the Oibaf PPA to upgrade to the latest Mesa 10.3-devel snapshot, which is still close to the state that Mesa 10.2 will be shipping.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Error in the title.

Comment

What is going on with the last 2 gputest benchmarks? software fallback?

Comment

Does it really have to be Ubuntu all the time?
        It's just a bizarre part of the Linux world.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          Does it really have to be Ubuntu all the time?
          It's just a bizarre part of the Linux world.
          It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant. Furthermore, other distributions are the same except for different combinations of different software versions. Testing other distro's would not add much value IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant. Furthermore, other distributions are the same except for different combinations of different software versions. Testing other distro's would not add much value IMHO.
            It's about as far from 'standard' as any mainstream distro gets, they're well known for extensive use of out-of-tree patching.

While Ubuntu may have the biggest share, that's overall, not amongst the type of person who would read Phoronix.

I would think most of us use a distro which is closer to the standard stack. I myself use Arch, but I think benchmarks from Fedora or Opensuse or Gentoo or Slackware or Debian or pretty much anything other than Ubuntu would be more representative of my install.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              It's about as far from 'standard' as any mainstream distro gets, they're well known for extensive use of out-of-tree patching.

While Ubuntu may have the biggest share, that's overall, not amongst the type of person who would read Phoronix.

I would think most of us use a distro which is closer to the standard stack. I myself use Arch, but I think benchmarks from Fedora or Opensuse or Gentoo or Slackware or Debian or pretty much anything other than Ubuntu would be more representative of my install.
              I have not checked this, but my understanding is that Ubuntu patches some 'hot' packages like mesa for new driver support.

Michael did publish some statistics about the OS most used by it's visitor. I'm going to look that up... Didn't he deduce from that data that Ubuntu is pretty representative? (apart from the awkward fact that many visiters use Windows lol)

Comment

Tried GPUTEST with my card.
                * mesa-git with llvm 3.5svn and kernel 3.15 and AMD PITCAIRN (7870) with AMD X6-1055T
                * All fullscreen 1920x1080

- Volplosion 1830 points (30 FPS)
                - Triangle 90806 (1513 FPS)
                - PixMark Piano 219 points (3 FPS)
                - Furmark 2441 points (40 FPS)

Comment

What we need is mesa compiled with LLVM 3.5. Also, IIRC, the radeon devs said there are some improvements in kernel 3.15 (For newer hardware, at least), although the previous post doesn't seem to show too much difference...

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                    It's considered the standard GNU/Linux variant.
                    Source?

Comment

Working...
                    X