Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 0.8.9 Updates Xfce, KDE, Openbox Editions

Phoronix: Manjaro 0.8.9 Updates Xfce, KDE, Openbox Editions

Manjaro 0.8.9 has been released today as the popular Arch-based and easy-to-use Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Manjaro's time has passed and its security model is no security.

Antergos yo!

Comment

It's pamac, not pacmac.

I wish Arch could lose it's elitist glance so more people would contribute to reach a wider audience. I have seen forum signatures stating that Arch is not for everyone. That's just detrimental.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        It's pamac, not pacmac.

I wish Arch could lose it's elitist glance so more people would contribute to reach a wider audience. I have seen forum signatures stating that Arch is not for everyone. That's just detrimental.
        Why should every distro have widespread popularity as it's main goal? That seems idiotic. Arch caters to a specific target group. What's wrong with that?
        That's about the same as saying "I wish Lamborghini would make cars every Grandma could enjoy." It simply would not be a Lamborghini anymore.
        Last edited by blackout23; 24 February 2014, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

Antergos yo!
          Can you elaborate upon this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
            It's pamac, not pacmac.

Arch is incredibly difficult to install, relatively recently it was made even harder. There used to be a semi-automated thing that did it with menus. Now, you're dumped at a command line and expected to get on with it. Only Gentoo and LFS surpass the difficulty level of installing Arch. I think 'Arch is not for everyone' is more realistic than detrimental.

Comment

Manjaro rocks

Thanks Michael
              Manjaro -I switched from Xubuntu and I am very happy with it - is a really KISS distro, i think is even easier than Ubuntu for a newbe

XFCE is very similar to XP - you can also use Xubuntu

Pamac or Octopi GUIs allow you to install and upgrade every package from AUR or main repos
              They are much faster than the ubuntu software center, also the packages catalog is much bigger
              AUR is like having every PPA together without having to install each and everyone and without having errors updating - if any PPA have one -
              Also AUR and main repos update / upgrade in their own way - as in every arch based distro -

Actually there are 2 other Arch fo rhuman beings distros, one is Kaos but it has almost only one developer, Anke and is focused in a nice KDE the other one is Antergos, pure arch, but with a great multi DE graphical installer

The Manjaro packages as mhwd for installing kernels and drivers and its GUI are great add ons for arch

I think it was voted first when you asked for benchmarks, and - with different kernel - it did great the last time you benchmarked it.
              Please add it toyour benchmark pool with latest kernels when you benchmark Ubuntu kernels too.

Comment

@Michael:
                If you were going to benchmark/test it do remember that although the 3.10 LTS series kernel is provided out-of-the-box, many other kernel series' are available from the official repo, including the latest 3.13 and 3.12 kernels.

They can easily be installed with:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux312
                sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux313

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post

Antergos yo!
                  Yes, lets debate which of these 2 distros is better for usage on mission critical systems.

Then maybe we can discuss if drinking red paint or blue paint is better for your health.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                    Can you elaborate upon this?
                    Distros like Ubuntu will backport security fixes. Rolling Release distros get security fixes automatically. Manjaro simply delays packages leaving you vulnerable. People should not kid themselves thinking that the 1-2 package maintainers will simply pass through these packages more quickly. The last openssh vulnerability remained unpatched in Manjaro for many weeks despite the security hole making headlines on most tech blogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X