Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Meld Finally Ported To GTK+ 3

Phoronix: GNOME's Meld Finally Ported To GTK+ 3

GNOME's Meld application has finally been ported to the GTK+ 3 tool-kit along with other updated GNOME 3 technologies like GSettings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meld is an awesome tool. There are times when you want to check the difference between two or three files and merge only some parts, it does a great job. You can also compare directories and copy only what you want.

Another tool I always have installed is regexxer, which seems to be unmaintained, unfortunately, but still works great on Debian. It is a search and replace tool, but instead of the usual sed, you watch each file and decide which replacements to perform.

Comment

Congrats! One of the best tools in the OSS world.
      In may ways, far better than comparable proprietary tools.
      (Most of the my Windows using coworkers also use it under Windows...)

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        Congrats! One of the best tools in the OSS world.
        In may ways, far better than comparable proprietary tools.
        (Most of the my Windows using coworkers also use it under Windows...)
        Agreed, though we're stuck with quite an old version on most of our machines at work, since it won't run on CentOS 5 without upgrading a bunch of system libraries.

Comment

Has anybody seen screenshots?

Comment

Is they any qt alternative to it? Or need I add meld ignore pkg - I will not install gtk3 only for one app, on my desktop I use only gtk2 and qt apps.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
              Is they any qt alternative to it? Or need I add meld ignore pkg - I will not install gtk3 only for one app, on my desktop I use only gtk2 and qt apps.
              How come? I mean, sure, it might be for just one app, but is your system so constrained that the need to install a few extra packages is enough to prevent you from using a valuable development tool?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                Agreed, though we're stuck with quite an old version on most of our machines at work, since it won't run on CentOS 5 without upgrading a bunch of system libraries.
                I actually managed to get new(er) version of meld by installing it manually.
                Don't remember the exact version, though.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Meld is a really useful tool, good to know it is advancing!

Comment

It's psychological

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                    How come? I mean, sure, it might be for just one app, but is your system so constrained that the need to install a few extra packages is enough to prevent you from using a valuable development tool?
                    It's like a phobia. Some people get goosebumps when they see the number or type of packages some apps depend on. It doesn't matter if their size is less than an mp3 song.
                    Last edited by z0id; 23 February 2014, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X