Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Early Walkthrough Of Phoronix Test Suite 5.0

Phoronix: A Very Early Walkthrough Of Phoronix Test Suite 5.0

Here's a look at the recent progress of the Phoronix Test Suite 5.0 user-interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that you are doing a great work.

Thank you.

Comment

Awesome!

Now I can guesstimate how much longer the tests will take from afar.

Comment

It looks great you guys! It'll help a lot of people that are afraid of the terminal.

Comment

Just something that i don't like in the design. The dropdown menu in the center when you use the blue frame (ie last pic). Moving it to one of the corners (preferably right) would make it better IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            It looks great you guys! It'll help a lot of people that are afraid of the terminal.
            For me personally it isn't so much being afraid of the terminal but rather not having the patience to figure out something that has so much content. What many computer users don't realize is GUIs and CLIs have their own personal advantages and disadvantages. For whatever reason, hardcore *nix users want to believe that a CLI can effectively do anything you want, and Windows users want to believe that CLI is archaic, user-unfriendly, and primitive. For something as vast as software, it is asinine to think there's a "1 size fits all" solution. A CLI is often better if you're intending automation or if the program only has a small handful of ways to use it (such as grep). A GUI is often better for a applications that offer dozens of specific features with specific ways of operating them, because everything you need to know is laid out in front of you. Considering the large content of PTS, a GUI is almost a necessity for new users.

Comment

Nice to see PTS finally getting a GUI (again).

Comment

I don't think you needed WebSockets though, since you probably don't need bidirectiontional communication, so you could have used <a href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/">Server-Sent Events</a> (EventSource) instead.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't think you needed WebSockets though, since you probably don't need bidirectiontional communication, so you could have used <a href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/eventsource/">Server-Sent Events</a> (EventSource) instead.
                  SSE wasn't sufficient. It was explored and tested and didn't work out too well for our needs. There is sufficient amount of bidirectional communication needed.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looks like my hopes are in the process of being answered.

It's not that I'm afraid of CLI/terminal, at least not for the ordinary reasons; it's that I have a talent for finding novel ways of upscrewing things, or so it seems. Sure, and I've compiled a few kernels here and there but also hosed a couple of drives in the process a time or two. "Computing can be fun!"

A while back I downloaded the basic test suite, ran a few simple tests on my system, everything worked - but I was sweating the whole time.

Similar to what another has said, having various sets of options laid out in a graphical, nicely visual, fashion makes sense to me - I can see choices, how they relate, how the flow goes from one step to another in the test and report process. A well-designed GUI used where naturally applicable is something I really like to see, and I look forward to a release for the test suite.

Now then, Michael me lad, quitcher gallivanting about the globe in pursuit of the next good glass of brew and bring me my GUI! [grin]

Comment

Working...
                    X