Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total War: Rome II Will Come To SteamOS, Linux

Phoronix: Total War: Rome II Will Come To SteamOS, Linux

After Project CARS, the latest popular PC game title that's been officially confirmed as heading to Linux for SteamOS is Total War: Rome II...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't it bad to purchase it now? Wouldn't that hurt the Linux sales metric or do they go by downloads onto a platform for that count?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      Isn't it bad to purchase it now? Wouldn't that hurt the Linux sales metric or do they go by downloads onto a platform for that count?
      The game is not even available for Linux now...only in 2014.

As for your question, i don't think Valve is concerned at all with Linux sales metric or even downloads metric....they simply want more sales and they also want a games catalog as broad as possible at SteamOS/SteamBox launch.

It's also clear that Valve made a lot of breaking ground and also with Icculus expertise (besides other devs) it's now clear that porting games to Linux, in a way, is not that hard and Companies are starting to feel a desire to join in because they simply feel that Valve is on the right track and don't want to miss the boat...but i might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        I'm pretty sure they can tell what platform you play the game on.

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
          I'm pretty sure they can tell what platform you play the game on.
          I guess they only see the installed base statistics. I mean, they check what OS downloaded a copy of each game. That would be the wisest metric.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
            I guess they only see the installed base statistics. I mean, they check what OS downloaded a copy of each game. That would be the wisest metric.
            I reckon the time played would be a better one. It's well and good to buy it, but if it covers three platforms, then the one played most (lets say 200hrs linux, 50 Windows, 0 Mac), governed by some basic set ratio (majority 50% or something which would make it 125h), would determine you as a linux-player in this case.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
              Nope, the steam client reports to Valve HQ every month with your system specs and OS which is what gives Valve the statistics.

Comment

The game is a bug ridden mess right now, but it's still a big name title and good for SteamOS momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                  The game is a bug ridden mess right now, but it's still a big name title and good for SteamOS momentum.
                  Even with all the patching that it has been receiving, it's still a mess? I've held iff buying it because every Total War title comes out like that for some idiotic reason, but for Rome 2 not to have been mostly fixed by now would seem strange.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    Even with all the patching that it has been receiving, it's still a mess? I've held iff buying it because every Total War title comes out like that for some idiotic reason, but for Rome 2 not to have been mostly fixed by now would seem strange.
                    The game essentially released as an Alpha. At least the developers are committed to continue releasing massive patches until they fix everything, and then continue adding additional content and things like Linux support. The developers have been pretty vocal about updating the community as to what they are currently doing, such as this post from yesterday: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...%286th-Nov%29?

Comment

Working...
                    X