Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel GMA-500 DRM Driver Still Being Developed

Phoronix: Intel GMA-500 DRM Driver Still Being Developed

While Intel is expected to show off their Bay Trail Atom SoCs (a.k.a. Valley View) next month that feature IvyBridge-class Intel HD graphics, the GMA-500 "Poulsbo" DRM driver is still being refined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3600/3650 area also powervr chips, is there any support for them like with 500/600?

Comment

I'm still sad my tablet can't turn off the monitor and therefore suspend correctly. The vendor just had to create a non-standards-compliant screen and therefore make Linux hardly usable with it :\

Comment

Fuck PowerVR

Fuck Imagineon Technologies and PowerVR and their proprietary shit!

Comment

I'm no opensource purist, but I'm staying away from this hardware like the plague. Does it even boot if you don't have an iso with the prop. driver included? What happens in a year when they stop updating it?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            3600/3650 area also powervr chips, is there any support for them like with 500/600?
            If you really talk about "any support" then look at Intel Cedarview drivers (packaged among others for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

If you talk about open source support, then look no further than kernel menuconfig.
            Code:
            Device Drivers  --->
              Graphics support  --->
                < > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer
                [ ]   Intel GMA600 support (Experimental)
                [ ]   Intel GMA3600/3650 support (Experimental)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Fuck Imagineon Technologies and PowerVR and their proprietary shit!
              It's not like Imagination Technologies forced anybody to use their graphics IP. It was a conscious decision on Intel's side to go with PowerVR graphics, fully knowing what would be the consequences. PC makers went along and their ignorant customers fell into the trap. So the blame is equally to place on everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                If you really talk about "any support" then look at Intel Cedarview drivers (packaged among others for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

If you talk about open source support, then look no further than kernel menuconfig.
                Code:
                Device Drivers  --->
                  Graphics support  --->
                    < > Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer
                    [ ]   Intel GMA600 support (Experimental)
                    [ ]   Intel GMA3600/3650 support (Experimental)
                So it kind of should have been mentioned in the article i guess...

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  I'm no opensource purist, but I'm staying away from this hardware like the plague. Does it even boot if you don't have an iso with the prop. driver included? What happens in a year when they stop updating it?
                  Yes, because the reverse-engineered driver is in the mainline kernel, ever since kernel 3.0. And why should they stop updating it? It only needs to be updated to accommodate the changes in the internal kernel API, or to add some missing feature (last I heard there were scraps, bits and pieces of information on how to get some sort of video acceleration working).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Yes, because the reverse-engineered driver is in the mainline kernel, ever since kernel 3.0. And why should they stop updating it? It only needs to be updated to accommodate the changes in the internal kernel API, or to add some missing feature (last I heard there were scraps, bits and pieces of information on how to get some sort of video acceleration working).
                    I meant the prop. driver. Sorry to confused you.

Comment

Working...
                    X