Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Gains Haswell Graphics Firmware Support

Phoronix: Coreboot Gains Haswell Graphics Firmware Support

Just days after the exciting news of Coreboot supporting the AMD "Kabini" APU, there's more good news for this open-source project... There's now Intel "Haswell" graphics firmware support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It makes sense to have this implemented in CoreBoot rather then having architecture specific code build in to the hardware preventing a pice of hardware to work on both a PC, Mac and ARM board and having to have a specific version for each platform.

Comment

Haswell pixel on the horizon? (since it comes from big G)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Haswell pixel on the horizon? (since it comes from big G)
        Exactly what I thought, or even a Haswell Celeron low cost chromebook. My son plays a lot of games in his Celeron based Chromebook. A Haswell Celeron would be a significant step up in graphics power ...

Comment

Nice, this is indeed something that should be done in coreboot.
          Device discovery and id should be handled by BIOS systems.
          Because otherwise things just aren't very pragmatic and flexible.
          (Going a step further and add kinds of processors would be nice: CPU, GPU and that you can ask the instruction set of them if added so adding instruction set name is optional.)

Security is also much better

To bad it doesn't have a link to how the signatures are implemented and what features there are.
          Much better than Microsofts (It's protected because it only runs microsoft-allowed-keys/Windows !) UEFI/BIOS security

Comment

Hopefully one day Coreboot can become a BIOS standard.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Exactly what I thought, or even a Haswell Celeron low cost chromebook. My son plays a lot of games in his Celeron based Chromebook. A Haswell Celeron would be a significant step up in graphics power ...
              Hopefully google engineers will "care" about desktop linux users and make it easy to install a distro of your choice instead of having to wait and put it in dev mode etc. But i doubt they care enough for something like that.

More RAM and Storage would also be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Hopefully google engineers will "care" about desktop linux users and make it easy to install a distro of your choice instead of having to wait and put it in dev mode etc. But i doubt they care enough for something like that.

More RAM and Storage would also be nice.
                Of course they won't care. Why would they make it easy to change the OS on chromebooks, when doing so goes directly against their business model?

Google sells chromebooks at bargain-bin prices, expecting to monetize it by the user using google services, web apps etc. If too many users discard the ChromeOS and install something different, it's only a loss of profit for Google.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Of course they won't care. Why would they make it easy to change the OS on chromebooks, when doing so goes directly against their business model?

Google sells chromebooks at bargain-bin prices, expecting to monetize it by the user using google services, web apps etc. If too many users discard the ChromeOS and install something different, it's only a loss of profit for Google.
                  Well the pixel isn't exactly bargain-bin and i doubt google would mind a few extra bucks from people that want a quality laptop. I don't expect them to care of course.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Hopefully one day Coreboot can become a BIOS standard.

God, I hope not, as that would mean a huge amount of bloat. All coreboot does is flip the bits on the hardware so they are ready to go, and then passes off control to a payload. It doesn't stick around and provide system callbacks and services like the traditional BIOS or UEFI. If coreboot became standard it would probably ship with tianocore. But then you could build your own image, or the OEM could provide alternative images for specialized use cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X