Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Drops Support For Older Visual Studio

Phoronix: LLVM Drops Support For Older Visual Studio

To the ire of some developers, LLVM 3.4 is dropping support for Visual Studio 2008 as its host compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What an idiotic decision. They've basically guaranteed almost zero corporate pickup now.

((Still stuck on MSVC 2005))

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
      What an idiotic decision. They've basically guaranteed almost zero corporate pickup now.

Because the compiler used to compile your compiler is really the driving factor for corporate adoption...

As a software developer I fully support the decision to make use of features found in modern compilers instead of being stuck with what was available 5 years ago.

Comment

It's the default compiler backend on OS X, iOS and FreeBSD. There's plenty of corporate adoption deriving from that without any bending over backwards to support ancient compilers.

Windows users aren't contributing to LLVM so LLVM doesn't have good Windows support. That's how open-source projects work, individuals and organizations contribute to areas relevant to their use cases or interests. LLVM and clang don't even have exception support on 64-bit Windows, and the unwinding on 32-bit is a hack.

Comment

I'll be blunt: No one gives a rat's ass about MSVC support in LLVM/Clang other than folks hosed on Windows who can't stand microsoft's broken tools and who want to leverage LLVM/Clang/LLDB/Compiler-RT/etc., and who need cross-platform support for their products.

They are the ones who are driving the Itanium ABI requirement in trunk and they are the group who have to support it. It makes sense for them to cut ties and focus on Visual Studio 2010 and newer.

The rest of us in the UNIX World [OS X, FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, etc.,] couldn't give two s**** about MS support.

Chandler Caruth said it best: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/c...ly/030948.html

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Wang Qi <wqking at outlook.com> wrote:

> -1.
          >
          > I believe there are still a lot of people using VC 2008, though I can't
          > give the data.
          > VC 2008 (even the express version) is enough for a lot of development,
          > such like game development.
          >
          > Most likely I myself will continue using VC 2008 for at least two or more
          > years.
          >
          > Unlike other C++ compiler, **Clang is not only a compiler, but also a
          > great open source library**. An open source library should better keep
          > lowest compiler/platform requirements, when possible.
          >
          > Also, seems Microsoft's development tools have quite long life and can
          > spread into many years. For example, VC6 is not complete dead up to
          > today... (some time ago I read on Reddit comment that somebody still needs
          > to maintain a code base written with VC6).
          >

Unless someone within the community steps forward with a powerful argument
          to continue to support VC 2008, I'm going to make the call: we don't
          support it.

Why? I don't actually disagree with your points, but I think there are
          overriding concerns:

1) The pragmatic fact is that we simply don't have enough contributors and
          active (within the community) users that use, exercise, report bugs, and
          provide patches to support VC2008 to credibly say we support it. The fact
          is that we already don't, and we won't going forward regardless of what
          folks say on this email thread.

2) #1 isn't a problem that it is worth it to the community to solve. That
          is, I would rather have the developers and members of the community working
          to better support more modern Windows platforms rather than this old one.
          So I think it is actively in our best interest to not invest in changing #1.

3) LLVM (and its subprojects) have a long history of beneficially tracking
          and leveraging modern aspects of C++. We want to do more of this faster,
          not less of it slower, because it significantly improves the cleanliness,
          maintainability, simplicity, and performance of our libraries. To this end,
          it is directly to the benefit of the project to stay as close as possible
          to the latest versions of the various toolchain vendors.

4) Users of LLVM that are necessarily dealing with an unchanging toolchain
          and environment always have the option of freezing their version of LLVM
          along with that environment, or working assiduously to build a sufficiently
          strong role within the community to both provide the necessary testing and
          fixes for the environment (#1 above) and overcome the burden it places on
          the rest of the project (#3).
          Reality check: LLVM is not here to make Microsoft's ecosystem better.

Comment

Why don't those pesky linux users support mah windows?? It's obviously not up to us windows users to contriboot windows support!!!!111one

Comment

Working...
            X