Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDISwrapper 1.58 Now Runs On Newer Kernels

Phoronix: NDISwrapper 1.58 Now Runs On Newer Kernels

NDISwrapper, the open-source project that implements the Microsoft Windows kernel API and NDIS API within Linux for running Windows wireless network card drivers on Linux, has been updated. This effectively native Windows WiFi network driver project for Linux now runs on new kernels, up to and including the brand new Linux 3.8 kernel. This is the first release from the project in more than one year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I consider this to be a dead project.

It still requires XP drivers.

Comment

What hardware still needs ndiswrapper to run on linux?

Comment

I use ndiswrapper for AVM USB WLAN 54 mbit. 300 mbit has native drivers. I patched that driver for long time with that patch:
        Code:
        --- a/utils/ndiswrapper
        +++ b/utils/ndiswrapper
        @@ -55,7 +55,7 @@

my $modconf;
         if (`uname -r` =~ /(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)/) {
        -    if ($2 > 4) {
        +    if (($2 > 4) || ($1 > 2)) {
         	if (-d "/etc/modprobe.d") {
         	    $modconf = "/etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf";
         	} else {
        It was in my package and in the one from Ubuntu as they copied my code. Without ndiswrapper is broken for kernel 3.0 to 3.4.

Comment

Doesn't support NDIS6 drivers, and most 64bit wifi drivers for Windows are now NDIS6 only. Some are even only available in NDIS6.20 and 6.30 versions.

Pretty much useless at this point.

Comment

Many WiMax cards out there which did not provide Linux support. If somebody make it compatible with them then that would be great. Last time I check with Ubuntu 10.04 to use wimax usb dongle with ndiswrappe. Driver seems to installed ok but when I plug the device kernel got a stack overflow and PC freezes.

Comment

Maybe you need to patch your kernel. For ipw you needed to do that as well when you wanted to use ndiswrapper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                Many WiMax cards out there which did not provide Linux support. If somebody make it compatible with them then that would be great. Last time I check with Ubuntu 10.04 to use wimax usb dongle with ndiswrappe. Driver seems to installed ok but when I plug the device kernel got a stack overflow and PC freezes.
                I don't have one of those devices so i can't say for myself but linux wifi drivers have come a very long way since Ubuntu 10.04, that distro is nearing 3 years old at this point which is pretty ancient in linux terms.

I personally haven't had the need to use ndiswrapper for myself or anyone else in about 4 years. It always made me wonder why ndiswrapper was pretty much the only program of its kind, that I'm aware of. On the other hand, video drivers are the only kind that linux really struggles with.

Comment

One of my PCs has an old rt2500-based wifi card. Basically, the open-source driver sucks. The development-forum of these ralink cards (which was basically run by just one person) is in "deep sleep"; this chip had problems since about kernel 2.6.30. A lot of people stated that it wasn't working and tried to help the developer but he never seemed to take this thing seriously (maybe because it's the only chip of its series that doesn't work well).
                  Thanks to ndiswrapper , I didn't have to buy another wifi card.

Comment

Working...
                  X