Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Eventually Have Its Own SDK

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Eventually Have Its Own SDK

As I wrote over the weekend, Canonical is planning to eventually ship its own SDK (Software Development Kit) for Ubuntu Linux to ease software development on the open-source platform. The Ubuntu SDK won't happen for the Ubuntu 13.04 release, but work is being planned about what to include in this Ubuntu-specific SDK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yeah, let's make people write their programs for ubuntu instead of linux so that ubuntu becomes incompatible to all other distros while having a majority of the market share. sounds familiar

Comment

Alright. They're just trying to make developing apps for Ubuntu easier, I get that. But do they seriously expect some credible apps (think: Steam, LibreOffice, Google Earth, Adobe Photoshop) to be made using these Ubuntu-specific tools? Heck, the SDK will probably be leaning on Python for programming language.

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
        yeah, let's make people write their programs for ubuntu instead of linux so that ubuntu becomes incompatible to all other distros while having a majority of the market share. sounds familiar
        How dare they add features to their own product!

It's not like this is going to be glued to Ubuntu, it will probably just re use existing APIs and make developing easier. It will be FOSS too so it's not like nobody else can use them either.

I don't see people bitching android is incompatible with regular GNU/Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
          I don't see people bitching android is incompatible with regular GNU/Linux.
          Actually, many are bitching about that, and I see a good reason for it. Let's hope the compatibility will be improved in the future.

Comment

I do not like that idea. There are already too many games out there which have been compiled against a too new libc6 - newer than the ones in Debian. That will only help Ubuntu but nobody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              I do not like that idea. There are already too many games out there which have been compiled against a too new libc6 - newer than the ones in Debian. That will only help Ubuntu but nobody else.
              The real problem is that the games don't ship their own library. Compiling for a distro that is known for shipping horribly outdated packages is just silly.

Comment

You got it completely wrong, you can ship current libs but the libc6 used must be old enough to allow other distros run the code, that's the main dependency of a system. Some HIB games come out and only ran with Ubuntu and not Debian, that's definitely wrong. Partly only the installer was compiled against that new code - manually extracting helped but that's not user friendly. The Linux world does not only consists of Ubuntu only - they just intend to ship always a very new libc6...

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                  How dare they add features to their own product!
                  How much of that product did they actually produce?

It's not like this is going to be glued to Ubuntu, it will probably just re use existing APIs and make developing easier. It will be FOSS too so it's not like nobody else can use them either.
                  Oh yes, we've seen that one in action, haven't we?

That's why their X is essentially forked, GNOME essentially forked, and Unity doesn't work with standard versions found in other distributions. And porting all their patches over is a nightmare.

Comment

Makes sense

Fact 1: There are thousend apps written for Linux/Android, for each one written for other distros combined.
                    Fact 2: Reason for this is that documentation, IDE and packaging is on different level then for Ubuntu (Fedora, ...).
                    Fact 3: While tools like Emacs and M4 were OK in 1985, for new kids learning their skills on iOS, Android and HTML5, it looks like joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X