Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 13 Does Some Redesigning

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 13 Does Some Redesigning

Mozilla Firefox 13 was released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tabs on demand

It loads tabs on demand, which mean if you have 100 tabs open and close your browser.

Then when you start it next time, it will load fast and not take long time and freeze the browser like it used to!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It loads tabs on demand, which mean if you have 100 tabs open and close your browser.

Then when you start it next time, it will load fast and not take long time and freeze the browser like it used to!
      Isn't that the same feature it offers when Firefox crashes and restarts? I don't quite see the point of it with this new implementation. Taking time to see which tabs you still want takes time and why didn't you close the ones you no longer need to begin with? Seems like an unnecessary feature, unless I am misunderstanding its use.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
        Isn't that the same feature it offers when Firefox crashes and restarts? I don't quite see the point of it with this new implementation. Taking time to see which tabs you still want takes time and why didn't you close the ones you no longer need to begin with? Seems like an unnecessary feature, unless I am misunderstanding its use.
        Because I often have many different YouTube videos open. I don't want all those to load, then I have to click pause on each one of them.
        I listen to music on YouTube.

Comment

I have four tabs (HotMail, GMail, Debian.net and Sweclockers.com) set as my home page, ie they will all start loading when I start up Firefox and with the old implementation it takes almost a minute until Firefox finishes loading them all and unfreeze the browser windows so I can log in and check my mail. With the new implementation I guess Firefox will only load the first tab before I can log in. Far from useless even if you didn't restart Firefox with 100+ tabs open.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
            I have four tabs (HotMail, GMail, Debian.net and Sweclockers.com) set as my home page, ie they will all start loading when I start up Firefox and with the old implementation it takes almost a minute until Firefox finishes loading them all and unfreeze the browser windows so I can log in and check my mail. With the new implementation I guess Firefox will only load the first tab before I can log in. Far from useless even if you didn't restart Firefox with 100+ tabs open.
            You will not save any time with that, if I understand it correctly:
            Firefox first loads the tab you are currently viewing, then loads background tabs when you click them.
            Instead of waiting a minute when Firefox starts you now will wait when you change the tab. So it only saves time if you don't use every tab, which doesn't make sense (why are you opening them in that case in the first place?).

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
              So it only saves time if you don't use every tab, which doesn't make sense (why are you opening them in that case in the first place?).
              Because you're not using all of the tabs all of the time? Because you opened a bunch of documentation for a project, then got dragged off onto something else for a week or two but don't want to have to re-open all the pages you had open when you started? Or because you opened several news articles and blog posts that you don't have time to read just now?

Comment

Isn't that the same feature it offers when Firefox crashes and restarts? I don't quite see the point of it with this new implementation. Taking time to see which tabs you still want takes time...
                No, that's not the same feature. It's similar in nature but far from doing the same thing. If your browser crashes, you'll be presented with tabs to recover from last time - some of them might be causing the crash so it's necessary not to even begin to execute them upon restart.

However, with this "Don't load tabs until selected" feature, everything will look normal (i.e. you'll see all the tabs from the last time as opened), it's just that you've chosen (bear in mind, even if it's default now, this is just a setting which you may as well turn off) not to load the content of all the tabs at once (actually, any pinned tabs will still start loading upon starting browser). So after the first tab has loaded (the one browser opened on), nothing else (barring any pinned tabs) will be loading and you will be free to choose what next to do, without those other tabs clogging your system.

If it seems unnecessary, that's probably because you're not the type of user who needs it and that's fine. I won't go into reasons why at least I keep dozens and even hundreds of tabs open across sessions, because it's another subject altogether, but believe me that I find this feature very helpful and not at all limited - seems logical and just the way it should have been all the time.

But for most users I believe (who don't use "Show my windows and tabs from last tabs" and don't have a need to keep dozens or even hundreds of tabs open across sessions) this will go unnoticed. And for those who didn't know about this feature but have been loading dozens or hundreds of tabs at start of every session, this will speed up their browser's startup time, possibly considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Because you're not using all of the tabs all of the time?
                  OK, that may be reasonable. But for convenience I just put links I don't use every time into my bookmark bar, so that I can open them with one click, without having them in the way as tabs.

Because you opened a bunch of documentation for a project, then got dragged off onto something else for a week or two but don't want to have to re-open all the pages you had open when you started? Or because you opened several news articles and blog posts that you don't have time to read just now?
                  Right-click on a tab, choose bookmark all tabs, problem solved. No need for this new functionality here, I would think. But to each his own, if you find it useful then use it. I personally think that it doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    So it only saves time if you don't use every tab, which doesn't make sense (why are you opening them in that case in the first place?).
                    Exactly, I don't need to use every tab (in my case sometimes up to 500 or more) soon after starting the browser (and I'm not "opening them" in that sense, because they were already opened last time I used my browser - I just choose not to lose them after each restart) so I'm happy to trade waiting a lot for all of them to load on browser start (when I don't need any of them bar one or two) with waiting a bit to load each of them once I find I need them later. So as you see, it makes perfect sense for the type of user I am.

Comment

Working...
                    X