Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa

Phoronix: OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa

While the OpenCL enablement process for the open-source GPU drivers isn't over yet, there's a big accomplishment today: the "Clover" OpenCL state tracker for Gallium3D has finally been merged to Mesa Git master...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder which graphics cards will benefit from that. For instance, will the Radeon HD 3xxx be supported? I think it uses the R600g driver but I seem to recall that it's not usable for GPGPU stuff. Any reliable info on that?

Comment

OpenCL is finally coming together for the Gallium3D drivers -- almost four years after the OpenCL 1.0 specification was ratified.
      It's the FIRST Free and Open Source implementation of a GPGPU infrastructure capable of running on real GPU hardware.

It's also the first time a Free operating system has been able to do GPU computation.

That's amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
        I wonder which graphics cards will benefit from that. For instance, will the Radeon HD 3xxx be supported? I think it uses the R600g driver but I seem to recall that it's not usable for GPGPU stuff. Any reliable info on that?
        The HD3000 cards doesn't support all features. HD4000 maybe.

Comment

Q has been repeating that HD4k and earlier don't support OpenCL fully, and he's right I'm afraid. Expect no OpenCL support unless you have hd5k or greater (or was it 6k? Q?).

On other platforms hd4k supports CL via emulation, and I don't think enough devs are interested in making that work when compliant hardware is available too.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Q has been repeating that HD4k and earlier don't support OpenCL fully, and he's right I'm afraid. Expect no OpenCL support unless you have hd5k or greater (or was it 6k? Q?).

On other platforms hd4k supports CL via emulation, and I don't think enough devs are interested in making that work when compliant hardware is available too.
            Alex in early March:

R6xx cards don't have the necessary hw to fully support the entire OpenCL API; it would be limited to a certain subset.
            R7xx can support OpenCL over the gfx pipeline. Evergreen is the first generation of hardware with a native compute pipeline.
            and

Your best bet for OpenCL support is evergreen or newer.

Comment

What about Intel? Are they going to implement their own OpenCL stack as they seem to not be interested in Gallium3D?
              Last edited by log0; 11 May 2012, 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Just a question.

Is there still fragmentation in the state trackers. I mean do we still need differenst state trackers for nouveau and different for radeon???

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                  What about Intel? Are they going to implement their own OpenCL stack as they seem to not be interested in Gallium3D?
                  I i understand it correct CLover doesn't depend on Gallium3D. E.g. for the new AMD cards you get direct the LLVM Code.

BTW: On the mailing list are now the OpenCL patches for r600g.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    I i understand it correct CLover doesn't depend on Gallium3D. E.g. for the new AMD cards you get direct the LLVM Code.

BTW: On the mailing list are now the OpenCL patches for r600g.
                    But the title of the article is "OpenCL Gallium3D State Tracker Merged Into Mesa"

And then there is "mesa/clover - OpenCL implementation on top of Gallium."

How is OpenCL implemented in Mesa?

Comment

Working...
                    X