Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desura Game Client Is Now Open-Source

Phoronix: Desura Game Client Is Now Open-Source

Desura, the Steam-like game distribution service that came natively to Linux last year, is now open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news, however I have question marks with regards to having the server closed. I can understand that they are 'scared' of leaking info or getting hacked, but a properly developed server shouldn't have that problem to begin with

Having said that, if it becomes popular, I wonder how long it takes for an opensource server to be developed by someone else. The protocol apparently, (from the client side anyway) is open. Then, how long for a client to be integrated into ubuntu software center as a 'virtual'-repository ...

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
      Great news, however I have question marks with regards to having the server closed. I can understand that they are 'scared' of leaking info or getting hacked, but a properly developed server shouldn't have that problem to begin with
      Is that why it's closed? Or is it closed for the sake of maintaining sales profits and to avoid fracturing the distribution channel?

We've got too much fragmentation already, between PSN, XBL, Steam, Android Market, iOS/OSX App Store, Windows Marketplace, Ubuntu One, iTunes, Amazon, Desura, EA's custom store, Ubisoft's custom store, etc. Most of these services are entirely redundant. Originally they existed separately as they targeted different platforms, but with the multi-platform stores being common-ish now, most of the rest only exist solely because some asshat marketeer wants to have access to user information that the other stores don't share or to better "control" market prices and the like.

The end result for actual users is almost entirely negative. Users want one place to buy apps/games, preferably with a Steam-like "one purchase, all platforms" approach. Users want a single list of all their friends, achievements, high scores, saved game backups, avatar customizations, etc. Users want to have just one account to remember and log in to. Users want only one entity responsible for securing their payment details. The community aspects of a fragmented "market marketplace" are hurt heavily, and the usability aspects of that fragmentation just frustrate users.

Releasing the server as FOSS has a myriad of user-oriented benefits inline with the tenets of GNU Manifesto and the OSI Mission, naturally. Releasing it so that the Astronaut can make his own fucked up fork does nobody except the Astronaut any good at all.

Comment

Desurium - looks like they're taking their open version naming convention form Google Chrome ie the chromium project

Comment

I'll be happy if it just shows up in a package manager instead of having to install it locally for each user.

Comment

I think having to install it locally for each user is the way to go. Giving proprietary games root access is dangerous, and they don't really need it anyway. Desura is it's own standalone manager for the games anyway, so it can keep proprietary stuff out of the system.

That said, I love Desura and use it all the time. I think the way they do things now makes sense.
            Last edited by benmoran; 22 January 2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
              I'll be happy if it just shows up in a package manager instead of having to install it locally for each user.
              I presume this is exactly what they intended. Easier acess to the client == more users.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                I think having to install it locally for each user is the way to go. Giving proprietary games root access is dangerous, and they don't really need it anyway. Desura is it's own standalone manager for the games anyway, so it can keep proprietary stuff out of the system.
                Any more dangerous than proprietary GPU/scanner/wireless NIC blobs? I don't care about the games being installed locally, since many will probably require a separate purchase for each user. I just want the client installed globally and since its open source there isn't any significant risk if installed as root.

Comment

So can someone tell me what (other than icons/branding/etc) is different between the open source and non-open-source versions of this client?

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
                    Any more dangerous than proprietary GPU/scanner/wireless NIC blobs? I don't care about the games being installed locally, since many will probably require a separate purchase for each user. I just want the client installed globally and since its open source there isn't any significant risk if installed as root.
                    I'd say so, since GPU and Wireless blobs tend to be more widely used, and therefore more thoroughly scrutinized. I guess I do agree with what you're saying though. I have no problem with the client itself being installed globablly, as long as the games are local.

I just hate proprietary stuff in the system package manager (but don't mind proprietary games, in general).

Comment

Working...
                    X