Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 3]

Phoronix: What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 3]

The GNOME 2011 User Survey is still going on, so be sure to participate. For those wanting to know what other Linux desktop users are saying about the GNOME3 desktop environment, here's one thousand more comments.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Gnome team still doesn't give a flying fuck. So tell them what to cover in hot sauce and forceably insert into their intestinal tract and install Mate: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_lisa_whatsnew.php

MATE Desktop Environment, a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork. - perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

Hello everyone. I've made a GNOME2 fork. I've called it "Mate". My english is not so good. And so, maybe I can not give support in English. Correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestion is welcome. ...sorry about short description. MATE Desktop Environment, a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork. Repository: http://mate.karapetsas.com/

Comment

Why? I like Gnome Shell. Version 3.2 is awesome.

Comment

Those index numbers confused me for several seconds
        "Get back to gnome 2" in 2001?

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
          Why? I like Gnome Shell. Version 3.2 is awesome.
          Gnome 3.2 feels definitively faster and much more polished, however some apps menus get hidden behind of the gnome-panel (gtk3 and firefox for instance), this issue IMHO is of big importance and should of have been fixed in 3.2 I mean even Gnome's own apps fall in this gap :/

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            The Gnome team still doesn't give a flying fuck. So tell them what to cover in hot sauce and forceably insert into their intestinal tract
            Gnome haters, the onus is on you to prove you aren't a bunch of inarticulate, stupid whingers. You're off to a bad start ^^^...

Comment

I'm using gnome shell right now (3.2) and I think it's wonderful. For my taste I've changed some shortcuts to make better use of the desktop, for example, to change between workspace I press Super + Tab / Super + Tab + Shift, just like the behaviour of alt + tab between apps and ctrl + tab between tabs. The only thing I don't like is the bottom notification panel, it's a bet obstrusive and inefficient.

I'm wondering if some of the haters have ever tried Gnome Shell or have any idea of what it is, because some criticize Unity, which is not gnome 3/shell, and someones request lower memory usage, while it uses even less than gnome 2 (at least for me, it uses just 400mb on startup).

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                I'm wondering if some of the haters have ever tried Gnome Shell or have any idea of what it is, because some criticize Unity, which is not gnome 3/shell, and someones request lower memory usage, while it uses even less than gnome 2 (at least for me, it uses just 400mb on startup).
                AFAIK Unity is (built on) gnome 3, it just uses the Unity shell on top of gnome3, much like Gnome-Shell does. But i definitely agree Gnome 3 uses less memory than gnome 2. it's also quicker than gnome2

Some other points about gnome 3. generally, not related to your post alazar

At this point my biggest beef with Gnome 3 development - is that there is too much focus on Gnome-Shell, while MANY gnome apps are in serious need of attention. Prime example ~ Nautilus (a integral/core part of gnome!) ... on any machine, try opening /usr/bin in nautilus - watch how painfully slow it is, and how long it takes to open/view any folder with a couple thousand files. it's pathetically slow compared to most file managers (in any OS).

It's funny (and sad) because if you check out Marlin File manager - the same huge folders open instantly. Nautilus also has terrible UI design (compared to Marlin) - I think the gnome developers really need to rework nautilus. The toolbar is ugly, and should probably run completely across the menubar, as it does in nearly all other gtk3 apps. it looks terrible the way it is... - i know as of right now the only reasons i use nautilus is to manage the desktop (and in particular for 'Open-in-terminal', and a couple of other plugins) but once marlin has some more plugins - Nautilus will become almost completely useless, if they don't fix their slow crappy file manager.

The other thing i am finding odd recently, is the idea that because Gnome-Shell can run without a proper GPU ~ they now think fallback should be removed in favor of using the LLVMpipe. To me, this is incredibly daft....i mean think about it, really!!!

*** if i have a machine that is older and doesn't have a good GPU, and more importantly probably not a fast CPU - why then, would i want to waste CPU cycles on compositing?!?!? ***

the answer --> i wouldn't... it's a complete waste of resources.

Other than that, Gnome3 is pretty good. (given the fact, that i don't use GS, but if i did i'd have other things to say about that...lol but luckily i use gnome3 for it's apps/libs/etc, not for mutter/GS...)

cheerz

Comment

I like how Gnome haters somehow think that they are above all and that Gnome developers should just listen to them even thought they are the ones that bad mouth the developers all the fucking time... Even if the hater has somekind of a point, which they rarely do, it's pretty hard to care about it when the guy has no respect for you. I find it suprising that developers even keep commets on their blog posts as these parasites seem to always fill them with their ignorant and disrespectful crap - I don't even want to think about the posts they have to delete...

Comment

I also do love Gnome 3.

It managed to both keep the Gnome philosophy (simplicity and clearness) while making it enter the 21st century.

It is not yet perfect, but it is on a good way.

I especially like the way it handles desktops. It finally really make sense, and help organizing your work (1 desk = 1 activity).
                    Contrary to what some says, it is never in my way and it helps me to focus on my tasks. Even if I was suprised the first minutes, I don't miss at all the maximize/minimize buttons. The way to organize windows is very intuitive.
                    It is also quite stable, light and performs very well, even on my netbook (where it is not power hungry, like Unity could be).

The only thing I don't like much is the application menu. It is quite slow, and I don't like the messy and huge icon display.
                    But I am pretty sure that it will be improved soon (and can be improved easily).

In short, good job Gnome 3. Thank you for refreshing the desktop and providing a coherent environment (thinking about KDE).
                    Keep it up and soon the noisy complains of people who barely can change their habits will vanish.

Comment

Working...
                    X