Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Is Still On A Power Binge

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Is Still On A Power Binge

It's been about three weeks since last mentioning the major power consumption problem in the Linux kernel (actually, there's more than one power regression) and it's affecting distributions like Ubuntu 11.04. The lack of mentioning the power regression in recent weeks isn't though because the regressions are addressed, they are still outstanding with the about to be released Linux 2.6.39 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You need test rc kernels.

Comment

Doesn't apcupsd do what you want?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Does anyone already heard about smartenergygroups.com ?

Seems like an open source/open hardware energy monitoring solution. You can build your own or buy it for 600 to 700$ (yeah, quite expensive). I'm pretty sure it could do what you want by clipping a sensor around the power cable of your computer.

I was looking for the same thing some days ago but still not managed to find a cheap solution to directly log my watt consumption to my computer. All wattmeters either have a small display or log the data BUT you have to transfer it to your pc... (but those wattmeters are cheaper)

Also found those wattmeters: https://www.wattsupmeters.com/secure/products.php?pn=0
        Still expensive, around 200$, you'll need to save a lot of energy to have any ROI on such an investment

Comment

You were going to bisect, how did that go or still ongoing?

Comment

instead of a ups how about one of these

it has usb connection and iirc there is a linux program that fetches data
            and its prob alot more accurate than any ups would be

Comment

Watts-Up Pro also has support in upower.
              Also take a look at this:

Comment

Originally posted by blaze33 View Post
                I was looking for the same thing some days ago but still not managed to find a cheap solution to directly log my watt consumption to my computer. All wattmeters either have a small display or log the data BUT you have to transfer it to your pc... (but those wattmeters are cheaper)
                Point a webcam at your wattmeter and then ocr the image sequences or video stream

Comment

apcupsd works great

Comment

I wonder if this also affects BFS-patched kernels.

Comment

Working...
                    X