Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

Phoronix: The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

There's just twelve hours left to the Humble Indie "Frozenbyte" Bundle #3. This is a collection of games from the Frozenbyte game studio that are multi-platform (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X), are free of any Digital Rights Management restrictions, and you simply pay whatever you want for the collection of five games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just bought the bundle. I gave about half to EFF because their awesome anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

There's just twelve hours left to the Humble Indie "Frozenbyte" Bundle #3. This is a collection of games from the Frozenbyte game studio that are multi-platform (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X), are free of any Digital Rights Management restrictions, and you simply pay whatever you want for the collection of five games...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM3OQ
      They only have 3 games available, so it really is not the same value as the previous ones. I am not surprised fewer people are interested.

Comment

I think this bundle just wasn't up-to-par, and honestly it feels like it was rushed: 1 game isn't ready, the other one is barely playable.

I hope this doesn't discourage other developers from participating on future bundles, but I think it just shows that you can't magically make $1M just from doing a bundle, you have to have good games, and not just concepts and promises for future ones.

Also, on the second bundle at some point they started offering the first bundle again together with the second, I feel that if they did the same with this one it would help a lot -- there are always lots of people who missed previous bundles and are interested).

Comment

This also shows that with more than 11$ of average payment, the linux user should be worth considering by games editors when they don't even stand an eye on a native linux portage for their games.

Seems that linux people are waiting to have their hands on quality games, just as Windows and MacOS users. And they are ready to pay for it.
          What else to say?

Comment

Since they are the only developer represented in this bundle, they have earned 2x or 3x as much as any studio from the previous bundles.

I'd say that it was a great deal for them.

Comment

Well, of those games:
              • One doesn't exist yet (Splot.)
              • One can only be played on Windows with an Xbox 360 controller (Jack Claw.)
              • One of them is, let's be honest, not a very good game (Shadowgrounds.)
              • One of them is genuinely excellent (Trine.)
              I haven't played Shadowgrounds: Survivor yet, but if we're charitable and assume it's a good game, then you're really getting two games here.

The last bundle, you got four playable games and a dud, and it reached 1.8 million. So I'd expect this one to only reach 600,000. The fact that this is so much higher means, in my opinion, that this one did better than the last one.

Comment

disagree, both shadow grounds were not bad
                Second was far better than the first one. with it's dark atmosphere and overall it looked good.

But i didn't bother downloading anything else from bundle but Trine. Finished both Shadow grounds long time ago.
                Trine is excellent. i don like this sort of games but it is excellent.

It's a shame they were selling games in bundle that many people bought previously.

Comment

Okay, I'll try Survivor then.

Shadowgrounds seemed like it has a really good game buried in there somewhere, trying to get out. They had a good gameplay recipe to work with. And parts of the game (usually when you meet a new enemy type) are challenging and engaging... until you figure out the behavior pattern. After that it's like having the same old-school boss fight over and over again. I think that, instead of making enemies more challenging by giving them high-damage attacks and lots of hitpoints (not to mention throwing huge numbers of them at you,) they should have emphasized the enemy AI more and made the enemies more clever and more cooperative with each other. (Enemies could run away, regroup, then set up ambushes or try to flank you.) This would have given the game a lot more depth.

Comment

They're doing fine.

I agree with the other posters here. This just wasn't as interesting of a bundle. Trine looks very good. The rest are toss-ins. I gave about 1/2 as much as I did for the 2nd bundle, and I feel that was fair. I would have skipped this one completely, but I felt it was in the best interest of the whole concept to participate. The need to really take their time before doing another bundle, and they need to get multiple developers/studios involved. If the next bundle comes out and the games from this one are still not available, then there's no way I'm going to buy in again.

Comment

Working...
                    X