Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Evergreen Mesa Code Coming Soon

Phoronix: ATI Evergreen Mesa Code Coming Soon

While the ATI Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" graphics cards launched last September, the proprietary Catalyst driver supported the new GPUs since they began appearing in retail channels, and Evergreen KMS support has been available since February, the open-source 2D/3D acceleration support for these newest ATI graphics cards have been non-existent. Fortunately, however, that is finally changing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

great!

My evergreen GPU I'm buying is currently sold out... I may have a fully evergreen *working* graphic stack at the time I receive it!

Comment

Hmz... Today is my last exam. After that I really have to get into pulling and compiling and such. I have to make a backup of my system anyway for Fedora 13 so I might as well hack and slash up my system...

Comment

Be careful about drawing conclusions from the words "coming soon". Those two infamous words have led phoronix down a long road many a time.

Comment

The "coming soon" came from airlied in this case, so there might be some substance to it.

Though he probably didn't expect it to end up as a headline. The radeon devs (understandably) don't like setting fixed dates.

Comment

It actually came from agd5f; agd5f was the author, airlied was the committer.

And no, we didn't expect it to end up as a headline
            Test signature

Comment

Iiinteresting, sounds like it might be time to buy that passively cooled 5750 I've had my eye on.

Comment

I will be looking for another passively cooled card soon in order to turn my main computer into a multi-seat configuration.

If there is feasible 2D acceleration available by then, it may very well be a 5750 or some such.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  The "coming soon" came from airlied in this case, so there might be some substance to it.

Though he probably didn't expect it to end up as a headline. The radeon devs (understandably) don't like setting fixed dates.
                  I was obviously referring to Michael drawing conclusions from when HE reads the words "coming soon" (and then posting those conclusions as news headlines).

Comment

Too bad...

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                    Iiinteresting, sounds like it might be time to buy that passively cooled 5750 I've had my eye on.
                    It's the one sold out
                    On the side of my passive 4670 (err... some number like this) and my flat panel with multiple inputs, it should be nice to play fool with evergreen code. Read the r6xx-r7xx 3D programming doc. Hope will have brain time to spit some code. Is there any updated doc for evergreen to be released soon?
                    For instance the VGT block has many sub-blocks, we may have an overview of the way they manage together like the schema of the overall architecture, like a zoom.
                    Maybe microcode tuning for specific chip with new super CP packets! Imagine... on open source 3D engine that has backends done by fan people down to custom microcode! YEAH!

Comment

Working...
                    X