Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org SoC: Gallium3D H.264, OpenGL 3.2, GNU/Hurd

Phoronix: X.Org SoC: Gallium3D H.264, OpenGL 3.2, GNU/Hurd

There's a few months left until it's summertime in the northern hemisphere, but Google is already preparing for their annual Summer of Code (SoC) project as are their projects involved. X.Org will once again be part of the Summer of Code program where Google pays various student developers to work on different free software projects...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

People still remember HURD?

Comment

can somebody post a link to how this is going to be implemented into HURD?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        can somebody post a link to how this is going to be implemented into HURD?
        People still care about HURD?

(That's a joke. Sorta.)

Comment

"People still care about Linux?" said the Windows user.

"People still care about Hurd?" said the Linux user.

"People still care?" said the Hurd user...

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
            People still care about HURD?

(That's a joke. Sorta.)
            Care? Not really.
            Interested? Definately

Comment

Hurd's a fun target. It's roughly as far away from Linux you can get while still being Unixy. If anybody wants to suggest a better target for DRM devel, we're up for it, but...

* FreeBSD and OpenBSD each have a one-person team porting DRM features already; I'm sure they could use some help, but they're already started
              * OpenSolaris isn't interested in anything written outside of Oracle
              * Darwin is meant to use Apple proprietary code

That leaves Hurd. Well, and NetBSD, I guess. At any rate, Hurd's the one that's got a possible mentor, so that's that.

I kind of find it funny that Hurd's drawing all the attention. Why not show XCB some love?

Comment

I think you forgot Minix and also Haiku

I think both would appreciate an accelerated Mesa port

I know there is at least on person that has worked on the haiku gallium port ("aljen" in the trac has implemented sw raster for gallium so far) and has gotten that working as I understand it only the drm needs porting for Haiku

Minux should be more *nixy and haiku has more posix than BeOS had so they should be familiar enough...

Comment

I would love a MINIX port. I need to run MINIX for an operating systems course, and I want my wobbly windows....

But the only thing I'm really interested in, is OpenGL development. Well, that and power management. On Linux, of course.

Comment

Could someone explain to me ...

Why the h.264 acceleration if the dedicated decoders are ... unavailable? Are they attempting a shader implementation?

Thanks/Liam

Comment

Working...
                    X