No announcement yet.

Google's Patches To Speed-Up Over-Committed Linux Guest VMs Are Looking Great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Patches To Speed-Up Over-Committed Linux Guest VMs Are Looking Great

Phoronix: Google's Patches To Speed-Up Over-Committed Linux Guest VMs Are Looking Great

Google engineers have been working on Linux patches to improve the guest VM performance when the host encounters memory pressure or have over-committed too many guests. Similar patches already are used on Chrome OS and Google has been working to upstream the functionality under the mainline Linux kernel and have now provided some reference benchmark results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every time Google cooks up a performance increase somewhere, all that really is is just more spying they can do on us.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Every time Google cooks up a performance increase somewhere, all that really is is just more spying they can do on us.
      Please point to the part of the code that Google is contributing that allows them to do "more spying".

Comment

You missed the point of what he said. He meant that the faster they can make things, the more CPU time they can spend on doing better ad-tracking or AI or something.

Typically those are closed source, so nobody can point you to any code.

If this is the case or not, I have no clue, just pointing out that your response is not particularly useful ito conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post
          Please point to the part of the code that Google is contributing that allows them to do "more spying".
          It's probably a lot harder to find any Google code that is NOT related to spyware or to making their spyware work more efficiently. They aren't the world's most profitable ad slinger merely due to their altruism and heartfelt desire to make my desktop VMs run faster.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            You missed the point of what he said. He meant that the faster they can make things, the more CPU time they can spend on doing better ad-tracking or AI or something.

Typically those are closed source, so nobody can point you to any code.

If this is the case or not, I have no clue, just pointing out that your response is not particularly useful ito conversation.
            So it's time to slow down the Linux kernel to stop corporate surveillance, got it.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
              So it's time to slow down the Linux kernel to stop corporate surveillance, got it.
              Using uBlock Origin seems like a much more reasonable response.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley9432 View Post

You're moving the goal posts here. They always keep their spyware closed source.

Google's ad-tracking spyware or AI, whatever it is that leverages this performance increase is not included in the code merge.

What is Chromium browser? It's Chrome with all the spyware ripped out of it. But Google's whole reason for existence at this point is based on prying into every aspect of our lives. So yes, that is what this merge is for.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I find his response just fine.
                  The original comment and your response are not.
                  It's no news to anyone what Google's business model is. So what? What useful do you add to conversation other than a known fact?
                  What do you propose?
                  Should the community stop accepting any patches coming from Google? Perhaps even remove all the changes they contributed so far? Should open source projects also stop accepting financial contributions from Google?

The performance improvement they contributed will benefit not only Google, but everyone, yet nobody is forcing you to use Google products.

Comment

If you don't like Google, just cut them out of your life. It's not harder now than cutting Microsoft was 20 years ago. I know because I did. Youtube might be the hardest to get rid of. Another one is recaptcha because some services require it. Find alternatives and move on. Anyway, I for one am happy with their contributions to Linux at least. The improvements make Linux meaningfully better for Linux users. Source is source. Could come from North Korea for all I care.
                    Last edited by binarybanana; 10 June 2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X