openSUSE Leap 15.5 Released With KDE Plasma 5.27, Updated Mesa & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.5 Released With KDE Plasma 5.27, Updated Mesa & More

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.5 Released With KDE Plasma 5.27, Updated Mesa & More

For those using openSUSE Leap as the rock-solid, time-tested alternative to the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed, today marks the availability of openSUSE Leap 15.5 as another incremental upgrade to the Leap 15 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news.

Now to wait for the Gecko Linux to be re-based on this newest release and i can give it a try on my guinea pig backup system.

Comment

No Mozilla repo for 15.5 so no recent Firefox or Thunderbird but is there for Tumbleweed and 15.4, plus signature integrity broken for openh264.

Not a good start but otherwise seems to work.

Edit: For info

Last edited by Slartifartblast; 07 June 2023, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Vim 9 is highlighted. LOL. I truly love VIM, but I've never checked OS release notes to see what version of VIM is supported. (Okay, well, at least I haven't done that in this century.)

Comment

still a heavily patched 5.14 kernel thou. damn those frankenkernels!

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            Same as RHEL 9. Why didn't they use 5.15 at least? That came out 2 months after 5.14 and is an LTS kernel (also used in Ubuntu 22.04 and Slackware 15)...

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              Enterprise distributions for various reasons don't want frequent kernel version updates, because many of these use particular and enterprise software and version switching would be a problem for them.
              This is why backports are preferred...​

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

Same as RHEL 9. Why didn't they use 5.15 at least? That came out 2 months after 5.14 and is an LTS kernel (also used in Ubuntu 22.04 and Slackware 15)...
                LTS kernel just means it is maintained for longer by basically by a couple of kernel developers. Enterprise distributions have dozens if not hundreds of developers on their payroll. They have no reason at all to align with LTS. LTS is more useful for you if you are not using an enterprise distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

I've seen posts from SUSE devs that say they have less regressions managing their own backports than they do from trying to stay on LTS releases, and that Red Hat has the same experience. Also, they are cherry picking new features that their paying customers care about. They will do this for features that are newer than the current LTS, so they'd have to be backporting those anyway. They aren't dumb. If all 3 of the main enterprise distros deal with this, there's obviously compelling reasons why they invest the effort / time / money.

Comment

Working...
                  X