Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Lavapipe Adds Vulkan Task/Mesh Shader Support

Phoronix: Mesa's Lavapipe Adds Vulkan Task/Mesh Shader Support

David Airlie has managed to hack together task/mesh shader support inside Lavapipe, the CPU-based software Vulkan implementation inside Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa has always had a software implementation of OpenGL and now Vulkan, but I wonder as to its value now vs. Mesa's early days. Initially, Mesa software rendering was good because graphics card drivers on Linux were poor or nonexistent, and rendering speed wasn't too slow. Now, I imagine running these things on the CPU you would be measuring seconds per frame. Basically unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by stompcrash View Post
      I wonder as to its value now
      Two things come to mind (and I'm probably missing others)
      1. it is useful for a reference for tests, you can always run lavapipe as a comparison even if you only have one GPU.
      2. The code can be used as a software fallback in some cases mixing software and gpu rendering

Comment

Originally posted by stompcrash View Post
        Mesa has always had a software implementation of OpenGL and now Vulkan, but I wonder as to its value now vs. Mesa's early days. Initially, Mesa software rendering was good because graphics card drivers on Linux were poor or nonexistent, and rendering speed wasn't too slow. Now, I imagine running these things on the CPU you would be measuring seconds per frame. Basically unusable.
        It's good for testing (e.g. CI testing without needing a GPU in your CI server), and as a fallback in situations where slow rendering is better than no rendering (also remember that Mesa isn't only used on Linux).

Comment

Working...
        X