Qualcomm Adreno 600 Series Graphics Get OpenGL 4.6 On Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualcomm Adreno 600 Series Graphics Get OpenGL 4.6 On Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: Qualcomm Adreno 600 Series Graphics Get OpenGL 4.6 On Open-Source Driver

The Freedreno Gallium3D driver within Mesa 23.2-devel is now able to expose OpenGL 4.6 support for Qualcomm's Adreno 600 series graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What the odds of the next raspberry pi ditching Broadcom for Qualcomm? An Adreno GPU would be quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by tessiof View Post
      What the odds of the next raspberry pi ditching Broadcom for Qualcomm? An Adreno GPU would be quite nice.
      I doubt you could use Adreno graphics without using their Snapdragon chipsets and I dont think Raspberry Pi would switch to using a Snapdragon SoC.

Comment

Wouldn’t it be better to focus on the futureproof vulkan driver and focus gl effort on zink at this stage ?

Comment

Originally posted by tessiof View Post
          The Raspberry Pi foundation has a special relationship with Broadcom since many Broadcom employees volunteer time to work on the Raspberry Pi for free. It is unlikely that they will switch to a Qualcomm GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            Wouldn’t it be better to focus on the futureproof vulkan driver and focus gl effort on zink at this stage ?
            I doubt it. zink has a lot to go still, it's very impressive, but it's not 100% of the way there

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
              The Raspberry Pi foundation has a special relationship with Broadcom since many Broadcom employees volunteer time to work on the Raspberry Pi for free. It is unlikely that they will switch to a Qualcomm GPU.
              They wouldn't just be switching to a Qualcomm GPU.

Comment

Well switching to a Qualcomm GPU would definitely boost GPU performance.
                Even with a very complete open driver, the Pi's GPU performs really bad.
                I remember reading posts of people trying to run Half-Life 2 in box64 and it wasn't even able to achieve good Performance.

Comment

Are there any cheap qualcomm boards? All I see is some dev boards for over 9000 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                    Are there any cheap qualcomm boards? All I see is some dev boards for over 9000 bucks
                    There are things like https://www.96boards.org/product/qualcomm-robotics-rb5/ (which, well, is at least cheap compared to 9k).. but perhaps the more affordable options at this point are 7c chromebooks, which should all be well supported with upstream kernel (with the exception of mipi camera on the detachable/tablet devices).

Comment

Working...
                    X