openSUSE Aeon & openSUSE Kalpa Announced For MicroOS Desktop Spins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Aeon & openSUSE Kalpa Announced For MicroOS Desktop Spins

Phoronix: openSUSE Aeon & openSUSE Kalpa Announced For MicroOS Desktop Spins

The openSUSE project announced that MicroOS Desktop GNOME has been renamed to openSUSE Aeon and MicroOS Desktop Plasma is now known as openSUSE Kalpa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried openSUSE Aeon (=MicroOS Desktop Gnome) and it works very well for me.

Things I would like to improve:
    - Gnome Tweaks and Gnome Extensions shouldn't be preinstalled in a minimal system with a Vanilla Gnome experience. If users want these packages, they could be installed later.
    - The outdated GTK3 Gnome Terminal is preinstalled instead of the modern GTK4 Gnome Console.
    - there is no GUI for managing transactional updates. A gnome-software plugin for this would be nice.

openSUSE Kalpa is very alpha and had many bugs for me, but Aeon seems to look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
      openSUSE Kalpa is very alpha and had many bugs for me, but Aeon seems to look nice.
      what issues did you have, for it has been working just fine even with wayland using nvidia gpu.

my only really minor issue has been with dolphin's video thumbnails not working out of the box because of codecs (mainly the h264 one)

the only major issue I had that was MicroOS is general and not just Kalpa, was SELinux blocking some of my proton games https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Aeon#..._from_flatpaks , thankfully there is a workaround until valve fixes it https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ent-1520342398

Comment

For me, Kalpa also worked surprisingly well. No issue besides not having HW video decode in Firefox... Besides that: felt like leap with plasma. Looking forward to further developments.

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
          For me, Kalpa also worked surprisingly well. No issue besides not having HW video decode in Firefox... Besides that: felt like leap with plasma. Looking forward to further developments.
          My issues were:
          - I selected German as a system language during install, but after the installation the system was in English (US).
          - The initial setup of flatpak/flathub hanged ,so no flatpak was installed. The only way to repeat that is to reinstall the system.

Comment

For me, Kalpa worked very well but I can confirm the localization issue. This can be fixed after installation in the KDE settings and will "stay" then. The Flathub stuff worked well, after installation it started to download Firefox from Flathub without issues and Flathub was added to Discover.

I wonder when it will get a "stable" release. I'm planning to get a new computer next year and will put on either Kinoite or Kalpa, currently leaning towards Kinoite as Kalpa is "alpha".

I'm not sure how I feel about the "split names". Same with Fedora Silverblue and Kinoite. Wouldn't it have been better to just call it "Aeon" with GNOME/Plasma, just how the call it Tumbleweed or Leap with GNOME/Plasma/Xfce? I feel like this is just Richard Brown's work, who is a Plasma hater and has tried to kill MicroOS Plasma (now Kalpa) multiple times already, and now probably doesn't want his precious project (Aeon) tainted by having a Plasma desktop option?

Comment

Plasma Desktop with Wayland is still buggy for daily use. A biggest showstopper issue is that opened windows are resized spontaneously after resuming monitor from sleep (e.g. Firefox browser for example is downsized). There are also some less critical but annoying bugs like occasional scaling breakage on a HiDPI display for some apps or desktop folder view not being updated after files are copied to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dremon_nl View Post
                Plasma Desktop with Wayland is still buggy for daily use. A biggest showstopper issue is that opened windows are resized spontaneously after resuming monitor from sleep (e.g. Firefox browser for example is downsized). There are also some less critical but annoying bugs like occasional scaling breakage on a HiDPI display for some apps or desktop folder view not being updated after files are copied to it.
                Can't reproduce this on Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post

My issues were:
                  - I selected German as a system language during install, but after the installation the system was in English (US).
                  Yeah, that's a really peculiar issue. When I installed Tumbleweed last year and chose Dutch as system language, it was all fine, no issues whatsoever. But when I installed Tumbleweed a few months later on my dad's computers, it was half Dutch-half English on his laptop and fully English on his PC. I had thought it'd be fixed by now, but apparently not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Can't reproduce this on Tumbleweed.
                    I also use Tumbleweed and it happens very often with external monitor connected to laptop via thunderbolt usb-c port.

Comment

Working...
                    X