No announcement yet.

XFS Metadata Corruption On Linux 6.3 Tracked Down To One Missing One-Line Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Metadata Corruption On Linux 6.3 Tracked Down To One Missing One-Line Patch

Phoronix: XFS Metadata Corruption On Linux 6.3 Tracked Down To One Missing One-Line Patch

Last week XFS users began encountering metadata corruption on the latest Linux 6.3 point releases. Following kernel developers and those testing the kernels on affected hardware over the US holiday weekend, it's believed the issue has been tracked down to one missing patch that is a one line of code being deleted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then it would appear I was right, this would not have affected any LTS kernels. If I'm reading it right, it was an attempt to fix a different bug with the patch deletion in the 6.3 kernel.

Comment

Time to switch to BTRFS lads!

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
        Time to switch to BTRFS lads!
        Ah, yes, so we can have the filesystem corrupt itself on ALL kernel versions.

Comment

This smells suspiciously like a "magic fix." Hopefully there's more investigation later to ensure that it's complete and correct.

Comment

What? the site doesn't support elvish font...

5^È j5%È 1`N 7j&L 3t$ j#°= 5^È j5%È 1`N e2%P 3t$= 5^È j5%È 1`N w7x%P 3t$ j#° 2P 5% @ 26Ez5iV; w2%P 3t$-

^^^ in elvish characters:

One Line to rule them all, One Line to find them, One Line to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

rude but funny

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

I agree that XFS is more stable than BRTFS, but the only time I experimented corruption with BTRFS was due to faulty RAM and still recoverable easily without significant data loss.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Then it would appear I was right, this would not have affected any LTS kernels. If I'm reading it right, it was an attempt to fix a different bug with the patch deletion in the 6.3 kernel.
                  No official LTS kernel was impacted (although some people/distros backport the most interesting things to their own LTS kernels), as the bug was introduced in the 6.3 cycle. The 6.3 stable series, obviously, was impacted. The fix was introduced in the 6.4 development timeframe to address a completely different issue, but, as it turns out, was more important than first realized (had the impact been understood at the time the patch was made I am sure it would have been marked for stable at that time).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                    The fix was introduced in the 6.4 development timeframe to address a completely different issue, but, as it turns out, was more important than first realized
                    Ahh, I see now, that makes more sense. So they were wondering why the 6.4 kernel did not have the same problem and found this line for this completely different bug fix was also unknowingly fixing the xfs metadata corruption problem in 6.3.

Comment

Working...
                    X