Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated AMD Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Color Management

Phoronix: Updated AMD Linux Graphics Driver Patches For Color Management

Melissa Wen of Igalia along with developers from AMD and Valve have been working on improved AMD color management support with a particular focus onm the Steam Deck but will also benefit other AMD Radeon Linux users as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it allready have HDR support? Else I don't see much benefit from it (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Does it allready have HDR support? Else I don't see much benefit from it (for now).
      Under Arch it is possible to enable HDR in games adopting very 'bleeding-edge' configurations with AMD cards (amdgpu) and HDR monitors :

I have not tested it

Comment

Michael

onm the Steam Deck

Anux Yes, AMDGPU does have HDR assuming you go through a bunch of steps (they're linked above in Grinness's post). I've done it and while doing so played the FFVII remake from start to finish in HDR on Linux. For awhile CachyOS shipped an HDR enabled kernel and then it just stopped. ptr1337, what happened with that?

In the state HDR was in when I used it, HDR was great when it worked and damn annoying when it didn't.

Color management, however, is different from HDR. Color management is what lets you calibrate your color, set saturation, brightness, gamma levels, etc. HDR and color management are complementary features that assist each other. SDR needs color management just as much as HDR does.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          If you mean the display panel in the Steam Deck, then no. Even in SDR it's mediocre, only achieving something like 75% of sRGB colorspace (though its total light output from absolute dim to full bright is pretty decent).

But the GPU can handle larger colorspaces, so even a Steam Deck could play HDR games on a capable external display.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

If you mean the display panel in the Steam Deck, then no. Even in SDR it's mediocre, only achieving something like 75% of sRGB colorspace (though its total light output from absolute dim to full bright is pretty decent).

But the GPU can handle larger colorspaces, so even a Steam Deck could play HDR games on a capable external display.
            Also, while the coverage may be mediocre on the panel, color management is still worth it. The expectation of neutral color profiles allows studios to have a better understanding of what will actually be displayed on the screen, and the generic profile for the display can also be used to preview and optimize content for the available gamut (make sure that important elements are readable with the real contrast, dynamic range, and chroma available).
            Last edited by microcode; 25 May 2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

skeevy420

They got removed because people with a 7900XTX as well as 6xxx Series reported a issue about having weird artifacts.
              Could be because my bit dirty rebase, but I was not sure so I have removed them for now.

Right now it does not make sense to include them, if they introduce issue's and if the patches are not based against the 6.3 branch :/
              Also right now it is very limited to the gamescope session, which rarely people use.

Comment

sorry for asking a dumb question, but whats the difference between this and something like gnome color? i thought with gnome color you could calibrate color? i used it before to apply an icc profile that was provided by my monitors manufacturer for windows on gnome with gnome color.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post
                  skeevy420

They got removed because people with a 7900XTX as well as 6xxx Series reported a issue about having weird artifacts.
                  Could be because my bit dirty rebase, but I was not sure so I have removed them for now.

Right now it does not make sense to include them, if they introduce issue's and if the patches are not based against the 6.3 branch :/
                  Also right now it is very limited to the gamescope session, which rarely people use.
                  That makes a lot of sense. It was just really convenient having a repo kernel with it included over building my own.

Comment

Working...
                  X