Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA R530 vs. AMD Linux 6.3 + Mesa 23.2-dev Gaming Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA R530 vs. AMD Linux 6.3 + Mesa 23.2-dev Gaming Performance

Due to the constantly evolving state of the open-source Linux graphics drivers in particular, here is a fresh look at an assortment of AMD Radeon GPUs making use of the Mesa 23.2 development code for the newest RadeonSI and RADV drivers paired with the recently released Linux 6.3 kernel. These open-source Radeon Linux gaming benchmark results are going up against various NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30/40 series graphics cards using the NVIDIA 530.41.09 release as its latest Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No surprise, NVIDIA’s proprietary driver stack performs great. Switched from AMD to Nvidia in 2018 and haven’t had any issues. Not having to rely on third party repositories or using a bleeding edge kernel to upgrade the graphics driver has definitely improved my system’s stability.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
      No surprise, NVIDIA’s proprietary driver stack performs great. Switched from AMD to Nvidia in 2018 and haven’t had any issues. Not having to rely on third party repositories or using a bleeding edge kernel to upgrade the graphics driver has definitely improved my system’s stability.
      You cannot say good things about NVIDIA on Phoronix It's an evil scummy company and only AMD should be mentioned here.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You cannot say good things about NVIDIA on Phoronix It's an evil scummy company and only AMD should be mentioned here.
        here we go. I would like to see a poll which helps to figure out how the correlation between "I have issues with Wayland" and "I m nvidia user" is.

WannaBeOCer 2018 that is quite recent...

Comment

Mesa drivers have increased a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
            ...or you could had moved to a rolling distro
            On Arch with rx6800 (previously rx 480 8GB) and having played GTA5 (multiple play-trough) with no stability issue at all with both cards on Wayland and Xorg (and both cards drawing about 6 to 7 Watts on idle)

There is definitely an issue with Ubuntu and its unofficial ppa

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

here we go. I would like to see a poll which helps to figure out how the correlation between "I have issues with Wayland" and "I m nvidia user" is.

Once fixed, Both Nvidia technology and drivers will prevail again also in Wayland. End-users are not interested in useless diatribes. I guess that Vulkan will improve a lot the compatibility.
              Last edited by MorrisS.; 19 May 2023, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

I have zero issues with Wayland. I don't use it.

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Once fixed, Both Nvidia technology and drivers will prevail again also in Wayland. End-users are not interested in useless diatribes.
                Mad kudos to this gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

.. it has been already established in countless previous threads who is "scummy"

go away little bird(ie)

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

Once fixed, Both Nvidia technology and drivers will prevail again also in Wayland. End-users are not interested in useless diatribes.
                    yep, waiting for Nouveau -- ditched Nvidia in the meantime

Comment

Working...
                    X