Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Pangolin Makes For A Nice All-AMD Linux Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Pangolin Makes For A Nice All-AMD Linux Laptop

I spent the past few weeks testing the latest System76 Pangolin laptop that has been working out well as an all-AMD 15-inch laptop running the company's increasingly-popular Pop!_OS Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does System76 measure Chassis intrusion state into a PCR?

Comment

I did not see it mentioned in the review but these laptops start at $1300; to me that's a but steep for a Linux based laptop.

Be that as it may, I think they can be very successful if they heed the advice I am about to give: take a page out of Apple's playbook and forget about offering a laptop using only GPL'd software.

I suggest you see this venture as building an ecosystem.

Move away from a Linux based OS, and switch to BSD, primarily because of the more commercial friendly license. The rust based COSMIC desktop you guys are working on? Do not release it to general availability, release it as part of a complete BSD OS and invest on creating the "killer app", the one or two pieces of software that runs exclusively on your OS, that people just must have.

Make it a survival horror game or a video editing app or a software developer IDE or some business/finance analysis software, something that reviewers will go crazy for and people will create hundreds of YouTube videos talking about.

You can turn System76 into a company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, but you need to remove Linux from your business plan.

And change that ridiculous name, Pangolins are the animals that were implicated in the transmission of Covid-19, you do not want your product associated with a disease that caused millions of deaths.

Good luck to you guys.

Comment

It's not corebooted, so, in a way, it's just another laptop. The price is not bad for a laptop with 32gb of ram.

Their laptops with Intel processors are corebooted. The ones that interest me are the corebooted laptops without the nvidia graphics. Once again - once you add nvidia graphics and require proprietary nvidia drivers, it's really just another laptop.

Comment

As I know, it's the only System76 laptop with soldered RAM, so I wouldn't say "easy repairability". It's the main showstopper for me.

Comment

The price is too high

Comment

I don't mind spending premium prices for small-batch speciality products, and that what a Linux-to-the-core laptop with an open BIOS is, but System76 didn't make the sale last time I bought a machine because the display options didn't have anything with a nice tall 3:2 or 5:4 display.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                I did not see it mentioned in the review but these laptops start at $1300; to me that's a but steep for a Linux based laptop.

Be that as it may, I think they can be very successful if they heed the advice I am about to give: take a page out of Apple's playbook and forget about offering a laptop using only GPL'd software.

I suggest you see this venture as building an ecosystem.

Move away from a Linux based OS, and switch to BSD, primarily because of the more commercial friendly license. The rust based COSMIC desktop you guys are working on? Do not release it to general availability, release it as part of a complete BSD OS and invest on creating the "killer app", the one or two pieces of software that runs exclusively on your OS, that people just must have.

Make it a survival horror game or a video editing app or a software developer IDE or some business/finance analysis software, something that reviewers will go crazy for and people will create hundreds of YouTube videos talking about.

You can turn System76 into a company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, but you need to remove Linux from your business plan.

And change that ridiculous name, Pangolins are the animals that were implicated in the transmission of Covid-19, you do not want your product associated with a disease that caused millions of deaths.

Good luck to you guys.
                Or you could just buy an apple if you wanted the closed apple ecosystem.....system 76 whole business model was based on Linux... Why would they change that?
                I don't think anyone confirmed pangolins transmitted COVID... This almost reads like a random ai generated post

Comment

Without coreboot these are pointless. AMD need to step up.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                    I don't mind spending premium prices for small-batch speciality products, and that what a Linux-to-the-core laptop with an open BIOS is, but System76 didn't make the sale last time I bought a machine because the display options didn't have anything with a nice tall 3:2 or 5:4 display.
                    Absolutely! Once they get above $1K they absolutely must provide more than a generic 15" 1080P screen. I have been going with Lenovo recently since they provide AMD based notebooks with higher res 16" screens that use a taller screen. 16x9 is really a bad joke if you use the machine for work rather than play.

Comment

Working...
                    X