AlmaLinux 9.2 Released As Free Alternative To Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlmaLinux 9.2 Released As Free Alternative To Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2

Phoronix: AlmaLinux 9.2 Released As Free Alternative To Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2

AlmaLinux 9.2 is now available for this community-driven, freely-available alternative to upstream Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2. The AlmaLinux crew managed to deliver this release just hours after Red Hat reached general availability on RHEL 9.2 and RHEL 8.8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will CentOS (Community enterprise OS) 9.2 be released? I couldn't find 9.0 or 9.1

/s

Comment

This is basically the new CentOS, right?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        This is basically the new CentOS, right?
        one of the new CentOS, actually.

other viable options are RockyLinux or OracleLinux.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          When will CentOS (Community enterprise OS) 9.2 be released? I couldn't find 9.0 or 9.1

/s
          There will not be a CentOS 9.2 (or 9.0, 9.1, etc.) There is only CentOS Stream 9 which is upstream of RHEL 9.x.

Look at AlmaLinux or RockyLinux for a distro that is a binary compatible rebuild of RHEL 8 or RHEL 9.

Comment

I'm not working in the RHEL ecosystem much anymore, but back in the CentOS 5-7 days it wasn't uncommon that it took a month or two for CentOS to come out with a RHEL minor release update, and for a major release it was at a minimum several months, or even half a year or so.

That AlmaLinux manages to put a release out in a mere hours points to the good work the team has done to automate all the necessary work. And maybe RedHat also deserves some praise for making these kinds of rebuild projects easier (though I don't know what, if anything, they have done since the, say, CentOS 7 days). Kudos to all involved!

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
              That AlmaLinux manages to put a release out in a mere hours points to the good work the team has done to automate all the necessary work. And maybe RedHat also deserves some praise for making these kinds of rebuild projects easier (though I don't know what, if anything, they have done since the, say, CentOS 7 days). Kudos to all involved!
              The biggest changes Red Hat has done is a) publish all the spec file and patches as individual repos and made their build system public and rebranding easier b) CentOS Stream which allows you to get continuous access to fixes (along with CentOS Stream specific SIG repos) before they are formally published by RHEL as point updates c) Fedora ELN so you can access builds for the next major release. d) Expanded free RHEL subscription access.

The current rebuilders (Rocky, Alma primarily) have done a good job in setting up transparent infrastructure and having a formal legal entity.

Comment

And maybe RedHat also deserves some praise for making these kinds of rebuild projects easier (though I don't know what, if anything, they have done since the, say, CentOS 7 days).
                Here's a brief recap of what RedHat have done with CentOS in the last years: they embraced and extinguish​ed it.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Here's a brief recap of what RedHat have done with CentOS in the last years: they embraced and extinguish​ed it.
                  I specifically meant whatever RedHat has done to make 3rd party rebuild projects easier (and RahulSundaram already answered that point very well). I'm sure we all know what happened to CentOS-as-we-used-to-know-it (or can find out about it online, if we're interested), no need to rehash that discussion every time anything RHEL or CentOS related comes up.

Comment

I specifically meant whatever RedHat has done to make 3rd party rebuild projects easier (and RahulSundaram already answered that point very well). I'm sure we all know what happened to CentOS-as-we-used-to-know-it (or can find out about it online, if we're interested), no need to rehash that discussion every time anything RHEL or CentOS related comes up.
                    yeah, you specifically meant something, but you also specifically wrote "I'm not working in the RHEL ecosystem much anymore" hence it wasn't evident that "we all know what appenede to CenOS-as-we-used-to-know-it"

Comment

Working...
                    X