Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Patches Aim To Tackle Linux x86_64 PIE Support

Phoronix: New Patches Aim To Tackle Linux x86_64 PIE Support

Going back years there has been patches for allowing the Linux x86_64 kernel to build as Position Independent Executable (PIE) code to further enhance the system security. Antgroup engineers most recently have been tackling the Linux x86_64 PIE support and last week sent out a new patch series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This reminds me of 6th grade Algebra. Some kids acted up, got in trouble, and the assistant principal showed up to take them to the office. When he was leaving he told the class, "Now remember kids, there's three kinds of pie in life: the pie you eat; the Pi you're learning, and the Pye in the assistant principal's office. Y'all don't want the third serving."

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
      Not with yer on that one skeevy420. On the other side of the pond, A pie can be a pye or a pye could also be a pie. What pye was in the office?
      The assistant principal. His last name was Pye.

Comment

This should almost be a free by when using LTO on most modern CPUs?
        the reason Linux compilers have overly complex accesses is that ELF needs to allow for symbol interpositioning and a compiler must assume that the access therefore needs an indirection. Most architectures would allow PC-relative addressing (for most uses( , but that requires marking everything as hidden (the compiler switch is not enough)

Comment

What's with the cake in the thumbnail? D

Comment

I clicked on this article thinking I was going to get some pie, but I leave still hungry.

Comment

Working...
            X