Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Onyx Aims To Be A New Fedora Linux Immutable Variant

Phoronix: Fedora Onyx Aims To Be A New Fedora Linux Immutable Variant

While there is already Fedora Silverblue as a Fedora Workstation variant leveraging RPM-OSTree for creating an ummutable OS image and Fedora Kinoite as a KDE-based alternative, Fedora Onyx has been proposed as a new immutable variant of Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point I think we need just one distro where you can select your favourite DE and layer it in

Comment

Originally posted by eagleoneraptor View Post
      At this point I think we need just one distro where you can select your favourite DE and layer it in
      You can do that with almost any distro. Many even let you pick the initial DE by installing a variant, like Fedora:

Comment

Can someone explains to this old fart, what is this "immutable" stuff the cool kids are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Can someone explains to this old fart, what is this "immutable" stuff the cool kids are talking about?
          Don't be silly, why explain what it's all about in the article, when we can be clueless instead

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post

You can do that with almost any distro. Many even let you pick the initial DE by installing a variant, like Fedora:

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/
            That's not exactly “layering it in” as those spins are built around the DE's. I think he means something like EndeavourOS, where you can download the generic ISO and choose a DE of your liking in the installer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's not exactly “layering it in” as those spins are built around the DE's. I think he means something like EndeavourOS, where you can download the generic ISO and choose a DE of your liking in the installer.
              That's available on pretty much every distro I've ever used. Just use the package manager to install the DE you want. The DM will usually offer the choice at login when multiple DE are installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I think he's talking about a distro that's DE agnostic. Most distros are assuming you're going to use their choice so all the tools are built around that. A few are DE agnostic in that it matters less what DE you chose. Even if you install XFCE after you install Ubuntu most of the distro specific tools are going to be Gnome based. Sure you can use Xubuntu and the like but you still get the same kind of utility tailoring and most are still going to be Gnome-centric like Ubuntu.

OpenSUSE. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Enlightenment, and others right from the installer. The distro specific tools are mostly built around YAST which has multiple front ends to look more or less native in GTK or QT.

There are others less friendly like Gentoo. I used Gentoo for a while a long time ago, but found I was micromanaging it far more than getting anything done and it was gating in upstream releases without actually testing them for much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  Immutability is a concept in trend. Take a look at what are the options you have for an immutable Linux distribution.

"An immutable distro ensures that the operating system's core remains unchanged. The root file system for an immutable distro remains read-only, making it possible to stay the same across multiple instances. Of course, you can change things if you would like to. But, the ability remains disabled by default."

I personally don't see the point, but to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

I think he's talking about a distro that's DE agnostic. Most distros are assuming you're going to use their choice so all the tools are built around that.
                    It never matters what DE you use for the userspace tools. The package manager installs whatever requisites are needed when a tool is installed. There are two major application UI development toolkits QT and GTK. The appropriate requisites will be pulled in. Just because a given DE uses a toolkit, doesn't mean that toolkit is tied to the DE.

Comment

Working...
                    X