Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Has A New Firewire IEEE-1394 Maintainer - Intends To Maintain Support To 2029

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Has A New Firewire IEEE-1394 Maintainer - Intends To Maintain Support To 2029

Phoronix: Linux Has A New Firewire IEEE-1394 Maintainer - Intends To Maintain Support To 2029

It's likely been years since many of you have heard of Firewire and some readers likely never had the opportunity to use it. The Firewire interface was great back in the day and during the early period of digital video cameras, but modern versions of USB and Thunderbolt are far faster, allow longer cable distances, and numerous other advantages. While Firewire hasn't seen much activity in years and can be outpaced by USB 3.0 and beyond, there is a new Firewire subsystem maintainer for the Linux kernel and he intends to keep at it for the next six years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i know at least a couple of musicians still use firewire to due how good it interfaces with dacs, i've heard of a single person that cheats on games with them on windows lmao

Comment

I still have a few large HDDs with tons of data in external cases with usb 2 and firewire 800. The latter makes them fairly pleasant to work with. I'll be sure to migrate away from them in the next 5 years, I've been finding it a challenge to get the interface on new computers I get anyway.

Kudos to Mr Sakamoto for his involvement, I'm one user to greatly appreciate his work.

Comment

I'm considering buying my first Firewire device... though it'll be a USB 2.0/Firewire dual-interface external drive enclosure to work around the limitations of the Power Mac G4 I got for my birthday having only two USB 1.1 root ports and two Firewire 400 ports by building, in effect, a particularly bulky USB flash drive that can also speak Firewire.

Comment

There were top quality Firewire audio interfaces, from about 10y ago. I am still using these and can't see why I would stop. I seem to remember that for older and less powerful machines, Firewire allows good transfer rates with low CPU overhead. let's stop the planned obsolescence, linux is great for that, we have to be grateful to these maintainers...

Comment

Originally posted by dammarin View Post
            I've been finding it a challenge to get the interface on new computers I get anyway.
            Why not just get a PCIe card? Those are pretty cheap.

Comment

Firewire always provided faster file transfer than USB back when I used it 7-8 years ago. It also used less system resources. However, the Linux driver would lock-up the system periodically. So while it was the better interface, I ended up migrating to USB for the stability. None of my systems still have a Firewire interface, and I got rid of all the Firewire cables a couple of years ago.

Comment

FireWire was WELL BEYOND the capabilites of USB. Faster, reliable, control over your connected devices. We were the fandangled hipster kids in 2000 with our dual P3-800 AV editing machine with a Canopus recording interface.

Which we finalised to VHS
                Hi

Comment

Michael have you considered moving to Mastodon?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Firewire chipsets also have a tendency to live up to their name and spontaneously combust. Happened to me on one onboard chip and one pci card.

Comment

Working...
                    X