Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lutris 0.5.13 Beta 2 Released For Managing Your Games On Linux

Phoronix: Lutris 0.5.13 Beta 2 Released For Managing Your Games On Linux

Following the Lutris 0.5.13 beta from mid-February, a second beta of this open-source game manager is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes all nice even I would hope for better updates, I am not sure what would be most important, well I find the installation process of games outside of the shop system a bit cumbersome, It could try to find better automatically icons based on the name you pick for a game you added yourself not by a script, etc. Bottles has some versioningsystem for configurations.

I think my problem I had yesterday can't be at least easily fixed by Lutris but I want to mention it anyway, if you have as example the Gog version of Skyrim you can't fully use the mod managers. Maybe the DRM system intentionally makes it impossible to install many mods without having the steam version, but it's disgusting that you need the steam version to have full mod support.

But even if you had that, the installation of the Nexus App is a pain in the ass, so a native Mod Manager ideally for all games but in my case primary for Skyrim would be interesting.

Again for people interested in alternatives bottles is worth a closer look maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      well I find the installation process of games outside of the shop system a bit cumbersome
      Here's hoping my current efforts to pay back this sleep debt go well. One of the projects I've had on hold for far too long is to write a Rust library with (at least) Python bindings which you can give a path like /mnt/foo_drive/games to and it'll return titles, icons, paths to commands to run, etc., using heuristics for stuff like converting file/directory names to titles when there isn't something like the metadata and icon file names GOG includes at standard locations.

(I've got over 400GiB of indie games installed on one of my drives that I'm using as a test corpus, combined with a JSON file where I specify what the heuristics should be returning and a test harness which calculates an accuracy score and shows entries it failed on.)

When it's ready, I want to offer it to the Lutris people. (At the moment, it's stuck on the back of a minimal PyQt GUI that I also used as a test harness for experimenting with different types of as-you-type filtering to figure out what I found most intuitive.)

(I also want it to support looking inside Zip files (which the data portion of Mojosetup installers are) or tarballs and doing the same for a folder of manually downloaded GOG/Humble/Itch.io/etc. installers so it can be used to treat a personal archive of games as an "upstream source" similar to a Steam or GOG Galaxy account.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 20 April 2023, 02:58 PM.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool ssokolow.

I'm on a quest to find a decent manager for my GOG installed collection, and can't afford to right now (building a house off grid is incredibly time consuming, but educational) throw around the trove of data for to many 'tests'.

Also any of these apps have a data integerity checker Asus from Galaxy? I live in a high temp and humidity region, and the PC feels the strain when being worked and I occasionally get FS corruption, despite the silver goop and fans blaring.
        Hi

Comment

Contribute to jc141x/jc141-bash development by creating an account on GitHub.

I guess Rum kind of does that, but they expect games in their prepackaged format, so not really, chadlauncher needs no setup but it only seems to display the names of the folders, I wonder if it automatically finds the executable, that would be a improvement itself, but would probably hard to do at least reliable you would need a backup method to define it yourself, well I guess search for a a executable file would work.

Well it expects some file that has some "start" string inside *start*. I think it would be probably a good fallback to search for any executable and if it finds 1 in the root folder of the game try that, and only after that ask for user input.

Comment

Lol I asked chatgpt to do that, I am pretty sure the code is way way longer that it need to be, but it should work?

Code:
            #!/bin/bash

# Define the directory to search in
            DIR="/path/to/directory"

# Iterate through the files in the directory
            EXECUTABLE=""
            COUNT=0
            for file in "$DIR"/*
            do
              # Check if the file is executable
              if [ -x "$file" ]; then
                if [ $COUNT -eq 0 ]; then
                  # First executable found, save its name to the variable
                  EXECUTABLE="$file"
                  COUNT=1
                else
                  # Multiple executables found, show an error message and exit
                  echo "Error: multiple executables found in $DIR"
                  exit 1
                fi
              fi
            done

if [ $COUNT -eq 0 ]; then
              # No executables found, show an error message and exit
              echo "Error: no executables found in $DIR"
              exit 1
            else
              # Print the name of the executable found
              echo "Executable found: $EXECUTABLE"
            fi
            ​Is there no way to syntax highlight code here [code={language}]{text}[/code] does not work here?

Well and attachment is also stupid because it shrinks the image I tried to upload to 20kb, then it's unreadable.
            Last edited by blackiwid; 21 April 2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I really dig Lutris for the GOG games I have, plus odds and ends like Unreal Gold. It's a great way to put in order a number of titles. Steam is great for a lot but lt's either straight up system wine or Lutris otherwise. I like how they added gloriouseggroll. Very impressed with configuration options. It's all there winetricks etc. The only thing that is missing is the shader downloads like steam has, not the greatest for running fairly recent titles but tons of things run excellent like Republic Commando, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4 The Room, disk games.
              Last edited by creative; 22 April 2023, 02:03 AM.

Comment

For steam games i use steam and for epic and GOG i use HeroicGamesLauncher.
                There are other launchers that i use Lutris for but i don't use Lutris that much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Also any of these apps have a data integerity checker Asus from Galaxy? I live in a high temp and humidity region, and the PC feels the strain when being worked and I occasionally get FS corruption, despite the silver goop and fans blaring.
                  Honestly, it sounds like the game manager is the wrong layer for that. You want a filesystem that can checksum and repair itself (eg. ZFS in a multi-drive configuration) and some ECC RAM.

The purpose of checksumming and repair in something like LGOGDownloader or GOG Galaxy is to catch corruption in the network transmission phase (i.e. to make sure stuff got downloaded correctly) because they can't protect themselves or your OS components from getting corrupted during normal operation.

That said, I could certainly see a utility which uses the CRCs in Zip archives like the payload of a Mojosetup installer, not to verify a fresh unpack produced the desired thing, but to re-verify files installed from it periodically.
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 22 April 2023, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Steam has an integrity checker, but honestly it never works. You end up re-downloading the game anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X