Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libreboot 20230413 Released With Build System Improvements

Phoronix: Libreboot 20230413 Released With Build System Improvements

Libreboot is the downstream of Coreboot focused on having fully open-source / free software replacements to proprietary BIOS/firmware on x86 and ARM systems. Out today is Libreboot 20230413 as the latest step forward for the project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really don't get the description of the news, it sounds to me what libreboot used to be, but currently is not really anymore. I mean it may have the goal but supported hardware doesn't fulfill this wishes.
    Libreboot is the downstream of Coreboot focused on having fully open-source / free software replacements​
    This makes in 2 ways no sense first which is it opensource or free software Replacement? For me the goal seems to have partially free software replacements, I can't even really make a philosophical difference to Coreboot, because if they can get their hands on a full free stack they will include it also but are ok with not full free stacks, too. Like this project.

I mean they market themself as it beeing more libre if they provide more nonfree software to more users because they get some free software. For them it would be more freedom if I could get somehow a opensource version of Notepad on a windows cd instead of the proprietary one and get more people to use that, because it's "more freedom"

It's no longer a way to see if a hardware is really free, so if a hardware is supported installing this doesn't make it fully free, and the hoops you go through having in the end a still nonfree system are enormous. Again except maybe technical differences I don't get what the philosophical difference is to coreboot.

Comment

I have a few Ivy Bridge-era NUCs I’ve been dying to unlock to OC.

I am unfamiliar with this project, so now I will have to investigate if this would unlock those features. If so, how. Do I need an SPI flasher? Software ROM dump on-device? Or the file from Intel?

Then… does it need a decoder or is it in plain English?

… then how to modify, sign, for flashing back to device, I suppose?

DANG IT! Well, now I have a plan for the weekend at least… time to start digging!

Comment

Working...
      X