Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Opens Up To Using Intel's 18A Process For Leading-Edge SoCs

Phoronix: Arm Opens Up To Using Intel's 18A Process For Leading-Edge SoCs

Intel Foundry Services (IFS) has racked up a big win today with Arm over enabling chip designers to make use of Intel's upcoming 18A process for low-power Arm SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This from the article's end:
    Intel's 20A and 18A processes are similar to TSMC's N2 (2nm) and should be entering mass production during the back half of 2024.
    should be at its start.
    I googled (what's Intel 18A) after reading the first few sentences only to find it explained at the very end.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      This from the article's end:

should be at its start.
      I googled (what's Intel 18A) after reading the first few sentences only to find it explained at the very end.
      Here is a decoder:

Intel 7nm = Intel 5
      Intel 7nm+ = Intel 4
      Intel 5nm = Intel 20A
      Intel 5nm+ = Intel 18A

I suspect that Intel went from understating their process technology to overstating it, since Intel 20A should be similar to TSMC N3, while Intel 18A should be similar to TSMC N2, if past trends hold.

Comment

I want to make fun of intel for making the angstrom standard because they got tired of losing the nm battle and just decided to switch to another standard entirely, but honestly the nm scale is getting a bit ridiculous and I don't blame them, angstrom is a neater measurement.

... But you know they totally switched to angstrom because they got sick of losing the nm battle.

Comment

Looking at the recent history, I bet 18A will be delayed for at least 2 more years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            I want to make fun of intel for making the angstrom standard because they got tired of losing the nm battle and just decided to switch to another standard entirely, but honestly the nm scale is getting a bit ridiculous and I don't blame them, angstrom is a neater measurement.
            I'm not sure what angstrom does better than nm before? It saves them from using a decimal point but it's not more accurate or better in any way. The core problem still is, that those numbers tell you nothing about transistor density of a real product and are not at all compatible between manufacturers.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
              Here is a decoder:

Intel 7nm = Intel 4
              Intel 7nm+ = Intel 3
              Intel 5nm = Intel 20A
              Intel 5nm+ = Intel 18A
              Fixed that, for you.

The names should be treated as somewhat opaque. They publish descriptions of what changes the nodes actually entail (EUV, GAA, backside power-delivery, etc.), as well as the relative density, performance (ISO-power), and power (ISO-performance) improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                I though they were moving in the right direction by going unit-less, with names like "Intel 7" and "Intel 4". To then speciously re-introduce a new unit is pretty sad. I'd have rather seen them go on to a letter-based naming scheme.

Comment

Working...
                X