KDE This Week Unveiled The XWaylandVideoBridge, Landed More Crash Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE This Week Unveiled The XWaylandVideoBridge, Landed More Crash Fixes

Phoronix: KDE This Week Unveiled The XWaylandVideoBridge, Landed More Crash Fixes

KDE developers remain quite busy working on Plasma 6.0 development along with preparing fixes for further Plasma 5.27 LTS point releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft doesn't have any XWayland Teams application

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      KDE Team is well known bunch of cyclists, reinventing things that no one give a fuck.
      Last edited by nox86; 26 March 2023, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
        Depends on how insane person/company is. Different companies do have the Microsoft teams Linux native install downloaded and still using even that Microsoft does not officially support it any more. Just because you cannot download any more does not mean parties like KDE don't have current support tickets over it.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post

KDE Team is well known bunch of cyclists, reinventing things that no one give a fuck.
          That's on the Wayland team this time, if only somebody in their camp had thought to make this a seamless transition (to the greatest extent possible) for downstream developers.

Qt has their own Wayland compositor that could be used and reused by multiple desktop environments, but from what I have seen that would probably involve burning down the entirety of KDE and starting over to use it. At least Qt had the right idea when the Wayland devs had the wrong idea: A reusable library to implement the protocol instead of constant reinventing of the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnacle View Post
            That's on the Wayland team this time, if only somebody in their camp had thought to make this a seamless transition (to the greatest extent possible) for downstream developers.

Qt has their own Wayland compositor that could be used and reused by multiple desktop environments, but from what I have seen that would probably involve burning down the entirety of KDE and starting over to use it. At least Qt had the right idea when the Wayland devs had the wrong idea: A reusable library to implement the protocol instead of constant reinventing of the wheel.
            Be more careful on that statement. wayland project does have libwayland-server and libwayland-client qt library in fact uses both. Wayland project does provide a reusable library that does implement the protocol that fairly much every Wayland compositor does in fact use.

There is libweston as well that has not really taken off in usage.

Wayland developers may have the right idea but that does not mean other parties will always follow their lead or work with them to make the Wayland upstream parts the best they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Depends on how insane person/company is. Different companies do have the Microsoft teams Linux native install downloaded and still using even that Microsoft does not officially support it any more.
              I still use the now unsupported native Teams client, and for a simple reason: my browser of choice is Firefox and Teams doens't support it fully. For some reason they added the ability to participate in a meeting but not the one-to-one calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilario View Post

I still use the now unsupported native Teams client, and for a simple reason: my browser of choice is Firefox and Teams doens't support it fully. For some reason they added the ability to participate in a meeting but not the one-to-one calls.
                Beware that old native client is more and more buggy. At least for me it started losing messages and I need to do restart occasionally to receive them and sometimes after start I saw only white screen instead of messages. And wayland does not work there and multiple useful features like blured background does not work neither.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Be more careful on that statement. wayland project does have libwayland-server and libwayland-client qt library in fact uses both. Wayland project does provide a reusable library that does implement the protocol that fairly much every Wayland compositor does in fact use.

There is libweston as well that has not really taken off in usage.

Wayland developers may have the right idea but that does not mean other parties will always follow their lead or work with them to make the Wayland upstream parts the best they can be.
                  I'm really curious from where you draw your conclusions. May I be wrong, but, for many years, Wayland was only a protocol, and it provided only a bare bone library so that clients could communicate with a server implementation. Weston was a kind of concept proof of a server, one so basic that no one build a serious desktop on top of it. Things got more complex and now we have wayland-egl.

From where you get that "Wayland developers may have the right idea ...", I have no idea. No, they didn't got it right from the beginning, or else we could have had advanced and stable implementations from past 5 years, at least, what we don't.

Things are stabilizing now, with 5 (yes, five) concurrent implementations, what is really sad when we think about the amount of code needed to get a decent server, i.e., lots of duplicated efforts.

To be clear, I'm counting implementations from: Gnome, KDE, Sway, Mir and Qt6. I should also add Weston, but, as I said, it used to be just a toy, perhaps, it changed a lot, and I'm totally off about its state now.
                  Last edited by acobar; 27 March 2023, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
                    I'm really curious from where you draw your conclusions. May I be wrong, but, for many years, Wayland was only a protocol, and it provided only a bare bone library so that clients could communicate with a server implementation. Weston was a kind of concept proof of a server, one so basic that no one build a serious desktop on top of it. Things got more complex and now we have wayland-egl.
                    You really have missed something. The wayland project before providing libwayland-server and libwayland-client provided weston.
                    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...weston.man#L58 Look at the shell section yes Desktop shell is a .so file loaded by Weston.

Weston is meant to be the "Reference Wayland compositor" and also the compositor you use when you don't have the resources to write one from scratch this is in the design that why it includes the means to load library.

Yes "desktop shell" is another name for "Windows Manager".

Think about all that we don't have windows manager support in the wayland protocol the complete time here is Weston the "Reference Wayland Compositor" has windows manager done as a .so plugin. Ok Weston functionality for the "desktop shell.so" might be a bit limited.

Yes libweston comes about because people would not follow the Wayland developers model provided by the Wayland Reference Compositor Weston..

Originally posted by acobar View Post
                    From where you get that "Wayland developers may have the right idea ...", I have no idea. No, they didn't got it right from the beginning, or else we may have had advanced and stable implementations from past 5 years, at least, what we don't.
                    That is not how the open source world works. Weston is a bigger part of this picture.

acobar the Wayland project provides the Wayland protocol, libwayland libraries and the "Weston reference implementation". You want to see how you should make a Wayland compositor you are meant to look at Weston. Weston by design always had the Windows Manager as a plugin into Weston.

See problem the concept that Weston was not for serous desktop equals we are not going to serous-ally look at how it designed so missing for the smaller X11 Windows Managers Weston was designed to be the solution from day 1. Ok they have not make a library instead of executable. The interfaces in Weston for shells has not got fully completed due to lack of users.

Remember all those claims we wish we had 1 display manager to build for instead of having do all the X11 server stuff ourselves. Weston provides that from day 1 of Wayland.

acobar see even you called Weston a toy totally ignoring that it was "Reference Wayland Compositor" and what this in fact means. Weston being the "Reference Wayland Compositor" its should be the gold standard for all other Wayland compositors to meet up to.
                    Last edited by oiaohm; 27 March 2023, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X