No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 13.2-RC3 Released With OpenSSH 9.3, Major Performance Fix For Makefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 13.2-RC3 Released With OpenSSH 9.3, Major Performance Fix For Makefs

Phoronix: FreeBSD 13.2-RC3 Released With OpenSSH 9.3, Major Performance Fix For Makefs

The third and potentially last release candidate of FreeBSD 13.2 is now available for testing ahead of the planned stable 13.2-RELEASE around the end of March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, even the resulting half a minute being released is a lot. Out of curiosity tested on Archlinux: doing a `truncate -s 150M testfile && time mkfs.msdos ./testfile` results in 5ms file system creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      Wow, even the resulting half a minute being released is a lot. Out of curiosity tested on Archlinux: doing a `truncate -s 150M testfile && time mkfs.msdos ./testfile` results in 5ms file system creation.
      but isnt write caching enabled by default? 5ms to create into ram, longer to write out, as you dont have 30GB/s capable storage (of course, that can depend on the file system hosting testfile, maybe an empty file only needs allocation to be written instead of 150MB)

Comment

I wonder how many low hanging fruits like this exist across the *BSDs? With them struggling just to support hardware and make fundraising goals each year (none of the 3 big *BSDs made their goal last year, all fell short), performance tuning is a distant thought. Heck as big as the Linux kernel is project wise it is only in recent years that I have heard of projects like IO_uring to get more performance out of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          With them struggling just to support hardware and make fundraising goals each year (none of the 3 big *BSDs made their goal last year, all fell short)
          You should mention with this that BSD's are used in the most valuable products of companies like Sony, Netflix and Apple. I wonder what is the one big difference between GNU/Linux and the BSDs when it comes to contributions from its corporate users

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You should mention with this that BSD's are used in the most valuable products of companies like Sony, Netflix and Apple. I wonder what is the one big difference between GNU/Linux and the BSDs when it comes to contributions from its corporate users
            You are implying that the more free license in the assorted BSD camps mean that less companies contribute back to them correct? I think it is nice that they are well and truly free but I do wonder if copyleft has its advantages in forcing contributions to be open sourced. I've wondered if Linus had never developed Linux because the SCO lawsuit never happened and FreeBSD developed like it did if opensource would have won out of if the big iron Unix distros would still be in vogue?

Comment

Looks like there is gonna be an RC4: https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.2R/schedule/

Comment

Working...
              X