No announcement yet.

Btrfs Enjoys More Performance With Linux 6.3 - Including Some 3~10x Speedups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Enjoys More Performance With Linux 6.3 - Including Some 3~10x Speedups

Phoronix: Btrfs Enjoys More Performance With Linux 6.3 - Including Some 3~10x Speedups

The big batch of Btrfs file-system driver updates for the Linux 6.3 kernel were submitted today by SUSE's David Sterba. As with many kernel cycles, this Btrfs pull includes more performance optimizations as well as new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice. I wish steamOS used BTRFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post
      I like (and use)BTRFS but for games it's better with ext4

Comment

Originally posted by _r00t- View Post

How so? I use SteamOS-BTRFS which has been working very well for me so far.

Comment

btrfs doesnt support casefold. so ext4 is better for wine/proton

Comment

Interesting, better in what way? I would expect ext4 to be better for databases and VMs (lots of random access writes, which never goes well with CoW), but what is it in games behaviour that make it better>

Comment

How so? I use SteamOS-BTRFS which has been working very well for me so far.
              Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, the biggest two gaps for BTRFS that made EXT4 the default were:
              1. Allowing case sensitive insensitive directories / Filesystem (used by Wine in some cases)
              2. Performance

I don't know to what extent these are/were true and whether 6.3 and later will close these gaps.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Interesting, better in what way? I would expect ext4 to be better for databases and VMs (lots of random access writes, which never goes well with CoW), but what is it in games behaviour that make it better>
                Ext4 still outperforms BTRFS. I'd like to see some benchmarks to see the recent speed difference with kernel 6.2 and 6.3-rc1(when it's out)

Comment

Ext4 still outperforms BTRFS. I'd like to see some benchmarks to see the recent speed difference with kernel 6.2 and 6.3-rc1(when it's out)
                  Well the features of btrfs does not come for free so ext4 will always outperform btrfs. And honestly the features of btrfs is kinda lost on games from Steam since Steam calcs it's own checksums and can just download corrupted files anew.

Comment

I'd like to know which one is faster with recent SSDs and striping, e.g. BTRFS-RAID0 or md-RAID0+ext4.

Comment

Working...
                    X